+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Grandparents - can we choose what DS calls them?

*please note that this question was solved in early october. We decided to let the grandparents choose. Another poster has a similar question further on on the thread, which is why it has resurrected.

For those interested my original post is still below.*

Is it ok for us as parents to choose what our DS will call his grandparents?

Here is some background:
    He has one grandfather and two grandmothers.
    He is the first grandchild in both families.
    None of them live near us so DS will not see them very often.

after the birth of DS both sets of grandparents came to visit, both sets telling us what they want to be called. They want Pa, nanna and nannie.

My DP and I want to call them Grandpa, Grandma 'insert first name' and Grandma 'insert first name'.

so, can we as parents change it to suit ourselves?
    Last edited by Taiyed; 17-12-2012 at 13:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I think that the grandparents should get to choose what they would like to be called - that was one of the joys for my parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    double post
    Last edited by babyla; 02-10-2012 at 16:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    Is it ok for us as parents to choose what our DS will call his grandparents?

Here is some background:
    He has one grandfather and two grandmothers.
    He is the first grandchild in both families.
    None of them live near us so DS will not see them very often.

after the birth of DS both sets of grandparents came to visit, both sets telling us what they want to be called. They want Pa, nanna and nannie.

My DP and I want to call them Grandpa, Grandma 'insert first name' and Grandma 'insert first name'.

so, can we as parents change it to suit ourselves?
    Ummm no. I think that the grandparents should get pick something they want to be called as long as its not mum or dad or something. I can't stand reading about people doing this. It's so controlling. They should be allowed to be called what they want to be called no matter how far away they are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I automatically referred to my parents as grandma & grandpa. My mum wanted nanny and i said nope. Im a nanny - as in my job prior and since having children. It sounds weird to me. But if it was a big deal she could be nanny, but she saw my point.

MY grandma wanted to be Mumma, because its what my youngest cousins call her, but no Im mumma. And its just so cute jas calls her gret-gramma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No, I would hate someone deciding what I was going to be called. Can't one be nanny "first name" and the other Nannie "first name", that is what we do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I think they should get to decide. Can it ever really matter that much?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 3 year old furkid so we got used to calling them grandpa and grandma, when referring to our pet.

i guess i had just assumed they would carry the same names over when DS was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    We have a 3 year old furkid so we got used to calling them grandpa and grandma, when referring to our pet.

i guess i had just assumed they would carry the same names over when DS was born.
    Im guessing they're just humouring you with the furkid thing and probably view the. Baby as their actual grandchild and do take the name thing more personally

Unless they want to pick something totally ridiculous then id just let them go with whatever they want.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

Hamilicious  (02-10-2012),Mathermy  (17-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I think it's nice to let Grandparents choose their names. They may have something special that means a lot to them. Being told they are 'Grandma First Name' is so impersonal.