View Poll Results: Is it ok to tell teenagers to bugger off the equipment at the park?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perfectly ok

7 58.33%
  • No, they have just as much right to be there

5 41.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teenagers at the park?

You know... Those teenagers who hang at the park, lounging around on the swings and other play equipment. Smoking, calling out obscenities to each other etc.

Whats the rules? Is it ok to tell them to move off so the little kids can play? Or are they just as entitled as the other *kids*?

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I think it depends. Is it a busy park? Are they being rude and obnoxious? Or are they just being a little bit rowdy?

Are kids the equipment was intended for missing out because they are lounging there?

I think if they don't look too overwhelming (and yes- sometimes I can be a little bit scared of teenagers and their unpredictability- I'm more cautious when approaching a group of them then say one or two due to 'pack mentality') then I think I would approach them and just ask nicely if my children could play where they were sitting.

But, if they are smoking, drinking and shouting obscenities around the park, I wouldn't even let my kids play there. I'd rather go further and find somewhere calmer to play.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, in the past I've told teenagers to please move off the swing (for eg) after my child has been patiently waiting for them to move on their own accord, I've asked many a teen to watch their language around the little ones, and the other day I told a group of them to move off the bike track (they were sitting on it talking about what age they *have* to lose their virginity).

Perfectly acceptable IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If they're behaving themselves and just hanging out I have no problems with letting them go. In my experience these ones are more than happy to move off the swings or whatever if I or my son asks.

But if they're just being turds, then yes, perfectly okay to tell them to bugger off. Though id frame it more diplomatically than that to avoid confrontation.

If they then started being abusive well I dont know what if do. Its never come to this.

I find teenagers in general to be ok, they talk the talk but are pretty meek and pliable when actually confronted in a respectable manner.

If they had a druggy/stabby look about them then we'd probably just go to a different park.

My husband never has these issues, he towers over most adults and it very well built so they tend to skulk off on their own if they're up to mischief!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yesterday at macca's there were 3 young 11 year old boys being right little turds. Snotting on little kids, jumping the fence/glass slimbing on top of the equipment etc etc Being very rude. A father that was there called one over and told him he needs to calm down before he hurts the little kids (it was very busy) the boy just says "not my f'in problem" and stormed off. Then a mother came out and went off at them. Then as we were leaving they were kicked out by the staff and this big 10 year old starts yelling abuse at the staff member so I stepped and and started going off at them (because obviously the staff member wanted to but wouldnt be allowed) and I chased them off lol It was quite funny but needed to be done as they were putting small kids at risk and being disusting.

I have no problem with older kids being in parks etc as long as they arent being dangerous, rude toward other children and if they are nice enough to move off equipment when the little kids want to play. Other wise i have no problem telling them to bugger off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Oh yesterday at macca's there were 3 young 11 year old boys being right little turds. Snotting on little kids, jumping the fence/glass slimbing on top of the equipment etc etc Being very rude. A father that was there called one over and told him he needs to calm down before he hurts the little kids (it was very busy) the boy just says "not my f'in problem" and stormed off. Then a mother came out and went off at them. Then as we were leaving they were kicked out by the staff and this big 10 year old starts yelling abuse at the staff member so I stepped and and started going off at them (because obviously the staff member wanted to but wouldnt be allowed) and I chased them off lol It was quite funny but needed to be done as they were putting small kids at risk and being disusting.

I have no problem with older kids being in parks etc as long as they arent being
    dangerous, rude toward other children and if they are nice enough to move off equipment when the little kids want to play. Other wise i have no problem telling them to bugger off
    Yuck! What awful kids. Theres certainly no diplomatic way to deal with horrors like that. Good on you for saying something too. Too often no one gets involved and it makes it hard to stand up to them if no one has your back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post

I have no problem with older kids being in parks etc as long as they arent being
    dangerous, rude toward other children and if they are nice enough to move off equipment when the little kids want to play. Other wise i have no problem telling them to bugger off
    Yuck! What awful kids. Theres certainly no diplomatic way to deal with horrors like that. Good on you for saying something too. Too often no one gets involved and it makes it hard to stand up to them if no one has your back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It they're smoking and carrying on with obscenities and things then yes.. if they are just playing around on the equipment then I think they have every right to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I think it depends. Is it a busy park? Are they being rude and obnoxious? Or are they just being a little bit rowdy?

Are kids the equipment was intended for missing out because they are lounging there?

I think if they don't look too overwhelming (and yes- sometimes I can be a little bit scared of teenagers and their unpredictability- I'm more cautious when approaching a group of them then say one or two due to 'pack mentality') then I think I would approach them and just ask nicely if my children could play where they were sitting.

But, if they are smoking, drinking and shouting obscenities around the park, I wouldn't even let my kids play there. I'd rather go further and find somewhere calmer to play.

Well they looked to be about 18 or so - the girl was ok but the boys were being loud, crude language and climbing all over the equipment and being a bit dangerous. It was mostly toddlers with parents there and we were all there before they rocked up. We were ready to leave anyway so I didn't bother saying anything but they were basically hogging the equipment and one or two of them were smoking. It's a fairly big play area, in a park in the city, but mainly for toddlers and younger children.

I smiled at the girl, wondering what on earth she saw in those boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    we had taken dd and ds to a park and there were two teenage girls sitting right on top of the platform where the little ones climb up to go down the slide. dd had been waiting there, and they obviously ignored her and kept blocking her way and talking and she screams out ""move!''.. the looks on their faces were priceless! lol. and dd is barely 4! they moved down off the platform for her. yay.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (02-10-2012)