+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DH hates me buying second hand...

So I have a problem... I love a good bargain, if I want something I spend ages making sure that's the product I want and then I'll try and buy it used or on discount. I'm a SAHM and it really makes me happy when I save a few bucks. DH hates it... in particular when its stuff for DD. there are some things I wouldn't buy second hand.
    Right now I'm on the market for a jumperoo I found one on eBay for $50 but I know DH is going to question me about it... I'm just wining really... I just think he should be happy with my thriftiness...
    Anyone else hide their purchases? Any ideas on turning him around used items?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have purchased everything brand new for DD, apart from prams and a bumbo type chair. With all of the things that only get used for a few months, like a jumperoo, I wish we had of bought second hand then.I would have resold them the moment they were useless, then bought second hand again for next bub. Instead, our house is full of useless things waiting to be used again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm lucky, DH is pretty happy to leave all the purchases up to me and will trust me when I'm happy to buy second hand or when I feel like we need to buy new. Most of my MCN stash is actually second hand. So is my Ergo. I'm also more than happy to take hand me downs for DS. I'm thrifty!

I wouldn't have purchased a jumperoo new either. Too expensive! We have my newphew's, but before my sister offered it to me I was stalking ebay looking for a second hand one. Is there any way you could hide the fact that the jumperoo is second hand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I can hide the fact that the jumperoo is second hand, I can't lie... I'm terrible at it! I guess if I just buy it and clean it up nicely he won't complain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You should swap husbands with my sister! She is the complete opposite to you and my BIL is always stressing about her spending money. He would be in Heaven if she was as thrifty as you! They are well suited in all other aspects, but definitely not a match with their tight-a.rseness!! LOL

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum has a problem with me buying second hand for my kids. I see brand new things as so bad for the environment...yanno reuse, recycle . If it's cheaper and just as good, that's awesome. I love a good second hand bargain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What I would do in that situation is tell him the price you got it and and tell him the price it retails at. Then he can see the difference...and surely he would be happy then?

Is it because it is second hand so that someone else has used it that he hates or simply that you are buying stuff?

DP is nutty for garage sales or even stuff on the side of the road Drives me bonkers as he comes home with all this usless crap that other people are offloading but he tries to tell me 'its a bargain'. Yeah its a bargain 'cause its cr@p. Thats when I have issues with second hand stuff IYKWIM.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had everything second hand for my DS except the cot mattress and the car seat...oh and a pram but it wasnt a hugely expensive or fancy one. His cot was the best bargain....$20 at swapmeet, which my grandfather then sanded back and repainted for me. Looked brand new!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    DP is nutty for garage sales or even stuff on the side of the road Drives me bonkers as he comes home with all this usless crap that other people are offloading but he tries to tell me 'its a bargain'. Yeah its a bargain 'cause its cr@p. Thats when I have issues with second hand stuff IYKWIM.
    I never grab stuff off the side of the road but do spot the occasional decent things as I drive past. Saw a guy loading 3 massive bird cages into the back of his ute one day from a pile of junk out the front of someones house. Wish I was 10mins earlier...bird cages are expensive!

wildoats is offline Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right - Henry Ford
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband used to hate second hand things and couldn't understand my obsession with op shops... I don't know what turned him around (maybe braging that the baby clothes I bought were only 50c each) - but with our second pregnancy he is happy to go op-shop/ second hand all the way!