+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Maternity leave

Hi all,

I am 12 weeks today and I know this is really early but I've started thinking about maternity leave. I'm due mid-April and am a teacher. I was originally planning on working up until 36 weeks, then I thought about it more and decided on 34 weeks. I'm not going back to work straight after mat. leave (probably not for 2-3 years) so a couple of weeks doesn't really matter I guess. But now I've looked at term dates and teem 1 finishes on march 28 (38 weeks). If I work up to this date I'm pretty sure I'd get my 2 weeks holiday pay before my maternity leave kicked in, effectively adding 2 weeks to my paid leave. What do you think is the best option? It's my first bub and I'd love to finish work as early as possible (probably just me being lazy), so 34 weeks would be amazing! But there are definite benefits for working 4 extra weeks. Is 38 weeks a bit ambitious for a first pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wouldn't you get a pro rated amount of holiday pay if you left a bit early? I think 38 weeks is a bit late but perhaps that's because my bub arrived at 37w5d!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You could always plan to leave at 38 weeks (you might need a medical certificate though after a certain period of time) and then when you hit around 30 weeks you can reassess. I was planning on leaving at 36 but am now leaving at 34 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left at 34 weeks but i would have been able to work until 38 weeks as bub came almost 2 weeks late. At my work if you work past 36 weeks you have to have a medical certificate. I agree with pp once you get so far along you can reassess your options. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends so much on your pregnancy, your general health, the type of work you do etc.

I finished at 34wks and DD was born bang on time. I loved the time off before she was born, I was very productive and felt really prepared and 'ready' whe she arrived.

I work in an office and have a 1.5hr commute each way, and I often worked from 8:30am-6pm if not longer. I had a great pregnancy with no complications or issues but I was getting pretty uncomfortable and tired doing that commute and long work hours. I'm glad I finished when I did!

I'd say if money is an issue, aim for around 36/37 weeks but be prepared to finish earlier if needed. If you're not too fussed about a few extra weeks pay, I'd finish at 34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As above....it really depends on how you feel. I worked up until 36 weeks with DS1 and DS2. Worked in an office so I wasnt on my feet all day so not a issue for me.

I felt fine...had no complications and was 42 weeks with DS1 and 40 weeks with DS2.

And I gotta say with DS1 waiting those 6 weeks was soooooooooooooooooooo boring! I wish I had of worked to 38 weeks as there is only so much tv watching or cleaning you can do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Like others have said, it depends so much on how you're feeling. I worked until 36 weeks (in an office). I needed a medical certificate to work past 34 weeks but that wasn't an issue. I had a great pregnancy, but by the end I was exhausted. DS arrived at 38 weeks so I'm glad I finished when I did!

I'll probably plan to leave at 34 weeks next time, just to have a bit more time to prepare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a teacher too. I'm planning on working up to 37 weeks depending how I feel. I only needed a medical cert to say I'm fit for work. I'm currently 31 weeks. My school is willing to be flexible so if I decide to leave at 34 weeks that's fine with them. Will your school be able to be that flexible??
    Also, you will still get holiday pay. No matter. Because its paid leave. Eg. I'm finishing up halfway through term four but I'm entitled to my Christmas holiday pay at normal pay, so ill get five weeks maternity pay, school holidays then starting term one 2013 ill get maternity pay again. If that makes sense.
    If your school is being flexible maybe play it by ear? I asked same questions to my friends and some said they were glad to finish early and some says they were bored and impatient waiting for bub to arrive. And remember that legally you only need to give ten weeks notice, so you can wait til 24 weeks if you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies. You've all been very helpful. It was especially good to hear from another teacher. I had no idea that I'd still get my holiday pay no matter what. At the moment I'm thinking I'll work to 34 weeks, but I have plenty of time to decide. I'm not sure how flexible they are, but it's a great place to work, so they should be pretty good thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in an office, 5 minutes from home and plan to work until 38 weeks. My job can be highly stressful but if I need to finish earlier it won't be an issue.

I plan to take 2 weeks annual leave, 12 weeks paid mat leave that works gives and then the govt leave.

At 12 weeks I had to put myself on 12 childcare centre waiting lists. I need to go back to work after 9-10 months and most centres around my home/office have a 18+++ month wait list.. how depressing!