+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blood tests & fainting

I have to have my bloods done for the NT scan today and I'm nervous as hell. Last bloods I got done at 6 weeks I fainted, I've never fainted having blood taken before so I'm not sure what happened, but I've now developed a bit of a fear of needles!

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on what I can do to avoid fainting this time, or is it someting I can't control?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get faint when I have blood taken the lady that did it last time said mention it and they will lie you down when they take blood. She said it shouldn't happen then. I think its because then your blood is more evenly distributed so you don't feel it drain so much. I've not tried lying down yet but will be when I have my nt scan next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I'll make sure I let them know I fainted last time and ask to lay down. Adding to the worry is that I'll have 21 month old DS with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh, I know how you feel! I never had an issue with needles until I passed out after giving blood about 10 years ago. After that I always fainted when giving blood/having needles - so annoying. Anyway, when I was pregnant last time (3 years ago) I finally managed to overcome it and now I am pretty much fine again (though still always ask to lie down!). What helped me was focusing on my breathing and making sure it wasn't too deep/fast, or that I wasn't holding my breath! Nice regular breathing was the key to me getting over my fear, along with drinking lots of water and eating before giving blood. I found that once I had been through it a few times and didn't faint it gave me confidence that it wouldn't happen again. In some ways having your DS with you might actually provide a good distraction. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again everyone - I survived! I lay down for it and focused on taking nice deep breaths, it was all over in less than a minute. I also made sure I ate something right before.

nat11 - luckily DS fell asleep in the pram on the way there, so I didn't have to worry about him getting the poos!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had a few BT's in the last few years and have never fainted. I had a big one (5 tubes!) and was told to fast for 12 hrs which I did. The second the needle was out of my arm I went all dizzy and wanted to throw up and was put on the floor incase I fainted.

Obviously when I get UTD I will be asking to lay down every time haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know you've had your test, and survived! I used to be a fainter too. now i always ask to lay down. I make sure I have loads of water and something to eat before hand, usually a banana or a big handful of lollies. I find I'm fine these days with BT's.