+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default Definition of "Routine" in "Routine Infant Circumcision"

First and foremost, this is not a thread to discuss circumcision under any context, there are more than enough of those threads.

I would like to know how people define "routine" when it comes to circumcision. I have always defined it as when an infant or child is circumcised in the absence of any pressing medical need. So, if an infant or child is circ'd because of any alleged health benefits, to minimise infection risks, religious/cultural reasons, aesthetic reasons or to 'fit in' would all be classified as "routine".

The Australian Oxford Dictionary defines "routine" when used as an adjective as
    1. performed as part of a routine
    2. of a customary or standard kind

In the context of circumcision, I would then argue that, as stated above, routine infant circ is when it is undertaken in the absence of any pressing medical need.

Again - this is NOT a thread to discuss the pros and cons of circ, merely the definition of 'routine' when applied to infant circ.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Routine for me means without an illness present requiring it to be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Routine to me means without medical reasons. So for any other reason it is 'routinely' done

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope you don't mind me answering as I have girls so I've never thought that much about the issue.

I actually thought routine meant that it's what is usually done, unless the choice is made not to. The default option, I guess.

For example, in some countries, I imagine it's routine ie. performed as part of a standard routine of things that are done after birth (like the vit k injection in certain countries) whereas in other countries it's routine not to circumcise.

I hope that makes sense?! As I mentioned, I don't know much about the issue so I've probably misinterpreted the term
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 02-10-2012 at 10:03.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by kj2010 View Post
    I hope you don't mind me answering as I have girls so I've never thought that much about the issue.

I actually thought routine meant that it's what is usually done, unless the choice is made not to. The default option, I guess.

For example, in some countries, I imagine it's routine ie. performed as part of a standard routine of things that are done after birth (like the vit k injection in certain countries) whereas in other countries it's routine not to circumcise.

I hope that makes sense?! As I mentioned, I don't know much about the issue so I've probably misinterpreted the term
    I don't mind anyone responding

The reason I started the thread was because there seems to be some differences of opinion in what routine infant circ describes. I have always assumed it meant (as in my OP) where circ is carried out on an infant in the absence of a pressing medical need. I have realised though that some assume it to mean something more along the lines of assumed/default option (like standard vaxes).
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 02-10-2012 at 11:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yeah, I would describe it as something non-medical.

For some families, it could be argued it's "routine," as well, as it's just "routine" to go circumcise boys once they're born. I know this is true in DP's family. Nobody really questions it, they all just go do it.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I thought it was just a 'routine' operation, as in there's nothing unusual about it. Ie. No special kind of unusual complications with the operation.
    Obviously I could be entirely wrong, that was just my assumption lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know with my brother ( born 1972) mum said they just took him at day 2 and did him , then brought him back an hour later telling her he had just had the snip, she said back then they never questioned it , like with vaccines, as it was "routine" as in it's just what was normal at the time

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would define it as a matter of course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just noticed they're actually discussing circumcision on Insight tonight. I'm guessing 'routine' in this instance means performed on all boys unless otherwise specified?

Tonight 8:30pm SBS ONE
    The First Cut
    Male circumcision is far less popular in Australia today than it used to be.

But there’s now a small but vocal movement of doctors and medical researchers calling for the surgery to be routine for health reasons.

Does the evidence stack up? And who has the right to make the decision to snip?