+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It's a big decision! We didn't know if we were having a boy or a girl, and whilst we had just one girls name, we had three boys names picked out. We had a favourite, and we did end up going with that one when DS was born.

However I did want to let you know that for the first few days after DS was born, it just felt so wrong calling him by his name. I was worried that we had made the wrong decision. I mentioned it to DH and he said he felt the same way, but his take on it was that it felt weird because we'd called DS by a combination of the boy and girl name before he was born (think 'Brangelina' but obviously not that!) and it was just taking us some time to get used to his name. So don't stress if you feel like that as well.

BTW, I love my DS's name, it's perfect for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put Dr and PROF in front if it .....sounds great go for it ..
    We also tested her name at places like boost juice .. See how it sounds .. If Any strange reactions .. My girls name is very different ... But not freaky !!
    Last edited by Maybelline; 02-10-2012 at 08:28.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (03-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in academia. Trust me, I have seen ALL types of names with Dr and Prof in front of them! In fact, I often think that the more unusual names suit the title more!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    my favourite is the boardroom/courtroom test! Lets just hope if its a courtroom, she's the lawyer and not actually involved in the case lol!
    In the little scene I play out in my head, she is the judge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Our test was opening batsman for Australia . Or Dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think that Stella is strange at all.

I think the only time a child could hate it's name is if it's spelled really strangely and they have to explain it to people as they grow older. Spelling Jackson as Jaxson or something like that. Michael as Mykel or something like that.

Have said that I feel the same way... names I like are ruined by terrible people who have those names (who bullied me etc) or the name is too popular amongst friends and family and I just can't seem to commit...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I felt the same about naming DS. Made even harder by the fact that DH and I could not agree on any names! About a month before DS was born I sat down with DH and we made a short list of about 5 names.

Once DS was born we sat cuddling him and tried out each name. We ruled a few out instantly as he just didn't 'look' like those names. Then we played around with the last few and eventually made our decision.

Don't rush it. You have plenty of time. Like PPs have said, you can take bub home without a name. You have quite awhile before you have to register their name to get a birth certificate.

I'm sure you will decide on the perfect name! Oh and I think Stella is gorgeous!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh. Yes.

We had one single boys name that both DH and I liked enough to use. We have two boys. We named our second son with an 'I suppose that's not horrible' name. If this next baby is a boy we're just going to have to call it Yoda.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandma gave me the advice of you have to think of naming the baby/child and when its an old man lol. So as PP said like a lawyer etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We did the baby name tests too but we also had a shortlist (well for two of them we did, the third we just hoped we'd find something that fit when he was born) but there's no way I could have named them without seeing them. The girls were named within an hour of giving birth, and neither of them are named what I thought we would choose from the list, the names that I thought they would have don't suit them at all and never did!
    With DS I had one name picked and we couldn't agree on anything else but DH wasn't sold on it due to how it sounded with our last name. We had no name for him basically. Anyway, when he was born DH asked me if I wanted to call him xyz and I said 'no, he doesn't suit that, he looks like an ABC' which was a name we had both vitoed pretty quickly in my pregnancy. DH agreed, we sat on it until he was 3 days old and tried out a bunch of other names on him but he didn't suit any of them so he is named 'ABC' and it suits him so, so, so, so much!
    I'm all for not naming them until they are born!