+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Petrified about naming the baby

Hubby and I have had heaps of baby names picked out for years, but now that we know we're having a little girl, I'm soooooo nervous to name her. I just feel like I'm not qualified or experienced enough to make such a massive decision! And I guess I'm nervous that she'll hate her name and will resent us for it :-( my most favourite name is Stella, but then I think, is that a bit too strange... We both love Chloe but that's such a popular name now, I don't want her to be 1 of 5 Chloe's in her classes at school, we also like Ashleigh but then think that might be too simple... Most difficult decision I think I've ever faced!

has anyone actually regretted what you've named your baby? I'm so nervous about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm so glad someone else feels this way!!! Sorry not much help. I have serious commitment issues with the name. We have probably decided on Chloe regardless of popularity but I just can't commit to it either!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When preg with dd we didnt find out the sex and had a boy and girl name picked. Half way through i got turned off the girl name and kept looking for something to top it. We ended up calling our lovely dd the original name we had chosen and i have not once regretted it, it suites her so much and i couldnt imagine her being anything else. Btw Stella is an awesome name :-)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Love the name Stella.

I always do the boardroom/courtroom test - Can she walk into the boardroom or take her seat on the bench in a court room and not have her name undermine her? Yes, then it is a good choice.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

IBelieve  (07-10-2012),JR03  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We waited until we met DD to name her (didn't know what we were having) and chose a name from our shortlist we felt suited her best. I still wonder if we could have chosen better, but the best advice I've heard lately is that kids grow into their names - which she has!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stella is a lovely name! Only tips I have is to check initials to make sure they don't spell anything odd.

I think few kids end up hating their name and how can you plan for that anyway??? Don't be too worried they grow into whatever you give them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally agree that it is a hard decision...

But love, love, love the name Stella!

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kochanski View Post
    We waited until we met DD to name her (didn't know what we were having) and chose a name from our shortlist we felt suited her best. I still wonder if we could have chosen better, but the best advice I've heard lately is that kids grow into their names - which she has!
    that is what we did ... we had a shortlist .. but as soon as my boys arrived I just knew ... as long as you have a list of options - you're probably all good there is no urgency .. you can actually leave the hospital without naming the baby - my sil took her boys home .. and then named them .. its a few days later that you need to fill in the paperwork ..

try not to stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there's any way to guarantee a baby won't hate her name. She may hate it for being too exotic, too unusual, too common, too short, too long or just something she doesn't like! All you can do is give her a name you love that you think suits her. And be open minded if she wants to change it by deed poll later on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all of the advice - my favourite is the boardroom/courtroom test! Lets just hope if its a courtroom, she's the lawyer and not actually involved in the case lol!
    I'm a really organised person (for example, I've almost finished washing all of bubs clothing, and have sorted it into big snap lock bags by size and type of clothing [short-legged onesie, pyjamas, etc] and I'm only 20 weeks) so I'd be having anxiety attacks if we didn't have a name chosen before she arrived lol.
    i guess this is just one of many parenting decisions where we'll be second guessing ourselves; we should just get used to it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (02-10-2012)