+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I'm having a midlife crisis! Need a career change. HELP!

I don't know what i want to be when i grow up!

I'm 32.
    I never made it to uni.
    I've done waitressing, receptionist, salesperson, telemarketing, and many other non-professional dead-end jobs.
    I'm now a SAHM for a 4yo & 1yo and regularly care for a 5yo as well.
    I am depressed, passion-less and lost.

I need a career change.
    I need to study something, get a degree in something worthwhile.
    I have no idea what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What sort of things interest you? If you could magically be fully educated/qualified in anything tomorrow, what would it be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well that's the million dollar question!

I know what i DON'T like - i don't want to do another "customer service" role. I don't want to be on the "front line" of a company anymore.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you creative, practical, like facts, science, numbers, caring for others?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not creative...but i am very resourceful. Very practical. I do like facts. I quite like making stuff...working with my hands. I can follow designs but i can't come up with them myself.

I do genuinely care for people. So i don't think i could do any "caring roles". I think i would get too emotionally invested to do anything like nursing or child care or the like. Don't want to do that.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JustShiney View Post
    I'm not creative...but i am very resourceful. Very practical. I do like facts. I quite like making stuff...working with my hands. I can follow designs but i can't come up with them myself.

I do genuinely care for people. So i don't think i could do any "caring roles". I think i would get too emotionally invested to do anything like nursing or child care or the like. Don't want to do that.
    Drafting/Computer aided drawing? Would you consider doing a trade, like carpentry? Engineering? Something more general like commerce or business?

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about something like interior design, architecture..?

You know what is really really interesting- business management! seriously, it's REALLY interesting, all about how to work with different people and implement changes. I quite like it anyhow.

Have a look at the courses offered at Open Universities Australia... they are all online, you can do one or two at a time, they don't have any entry tests... but once you've completed a certain number of subjects in line with a specified degree program, you just register for the degree and they take the subjects you've completed as proof that you can do it.

Or how about doing a teacher's aide course, or an education degree? Then you've always got work during school hours and have holidays off

Just as a side... my DH worked in health admin for 15 years, and it was only at 35 he decided to change careers. So he started an arts/education degree... did 3 years of that and decided he he really didn't want to do teaching full-time after all, so exited with an arts degree and used those marks to get into a Law/Business double degree, which he LOVES and is currently in his 2/3rd year (out of phase).. (co-incidentally he decided to do a dip-ed this year too... just because he wants to be able to pick up some teaching supply work while he finishes his Law/Business degree)

He's 41 this year and still working towards his degree in what he really wants to do.
    Last edited by OJandMe; 01-10-2012 at 21:53.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does the corporate world interest you? It sounds like you might be good in an operational role or maybe project management. You can do courses for that and good project managers are very well paid.

Otherwise you could learn a trade if you like working with your hands - not necessarily plumbing or electrician and all that, but maybe a jeweler or cake decorator or something. Just a thought!

I'm kind of in the same boat as you except I already have an established career, I am just really sick of it and after having DD I have a huge urge to change! I'm considering part time study in nutrition with the ultimate goal of one day being a dietitian - have done some bridging courses already to prepare for the degree. I'm almost 32

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

steel magnolia  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have thought about a trade...but then my sexist insecurities creep in and i think i don't want to be beating my fists against glass ceilings and all that crap. I just want a job i can enjoy doing, or at the very least, not hate.
    In high school i loved welding class, woodwork and auto shop the most.
    But seriously - i look like a real life barbie doll - i would never be taken seriously as a mechanic or a boiler maker or anything like that, no matter how much i'd enjoy the work.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh stuff them! If you want to do it, DO it! There are plenty of workplaces out there who would take you seriously I'm sure.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Cue  (02-10-2012),steel magnolia  (01-10-2012)