+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flying solo to UK with 5 month old

I am possibly flying to Scotland with my 5 month old shortly... Any tips???

I have an icandy pram which I don't want to take for obvious reasons.

He is formula fed - I assume there are restrictions on what I can take...

Would love to hear from others who have done this and any top tips!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Book a bassinet.

Take more nappies than you think you will need, plus spare clothes for your baby AND yourself. Also take a couple of extra large ziplock bags, in case you have a spew/pooplosion accident and need something to put the clothes in - the ziplock contains the smell and keeps it all...contained lol.

Also try and fly at nighttime and feed him during take-off and landing to help his ears.

I'm not sure what the deal is with formula, as I have always been BFing with flights BUT, I have heard they are fairly lenient with it. Hopefully someone else can help out there.

That age is probably one of the easiest ages to fly with, so fingers crossed your bub just eats and sleeps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

kw123  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't done a long haul flight yet but lots of short ones with baby, if you have a stopover I suggest looking into hotel airports to have a few hours of laying down and a shower. Air staff are always very helpful with babies so don't be shy asking for help. I'm assuming you've requested a basinette. I suggest getting a small bag/pouch for nappy changes with the wipes nappy and cream as the toilets are so tiny you really can't manage with a nappy bag, also def disposable change mats!
    Airplanes get cold and the blankets they give you are always static so bring some comfy onesies and a couple of blankets. Just bring whatever bub likes the most toy wise and what is familiar... bring a dummy and baby panadol for ear pain. Also a sling in case bub can't settle.
    :-) that's all I have... Flying myself in a few weeks on a long flight so finger crossed all goes well for me and you!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

kw123  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't know how I forgot to mention a baby carrier! ^^

We took an ergo and it was bliss for getting the little ones off to sleep if they had trouble falling asleep. Just popped them in and walked up and down the aisle. It's also a lifesaver overseas (we also took a BJ city mini pram).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

kw123  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will the hostesses help me if I need to go to the loo, etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The hostesses may help you or may not. I'd take the baby carrier just in case. Also be careful which airline you choose. I took my 13 month old (never never never do this) to Vietnam and the hostesses shut the cabin up and dimmed lights at 2pm in afternoon . She wanted to run around at that time! Fly at night if you can as pp said. And they will let you take pram to door of aircraft. Good luck I'm thinking of doing this next year with 5 month old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Will the hostesses help me if I need to go to the loo, etc?
    I have flown with babies on my own several times and have always found them to be very helpful Singapore Air have been the most helpful airline IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check with your airline - But there are NO restrictions on baby food or formula. If you need anything for your baby, you can pretty much bring it.

I would check with them about warming up bottles - I've asked for warm water in a cup to warm up a bottle, which was fine. They can't give hot water, just warm water. But they wouldn't heat up a bottle for me. - so be prepared, and ask in advance when you need warm water for the bottle. (And definately if they're about to do service, etc, get in first so you don't have to wait for them while they're serving dinner and your baby is crying in hunger!)

Enquire with your airline if the plane is separated into economy and business class. If it is, then they have the dividing wall with the bassinet seating, so definately ask for one of those!! More leg room, and of course a secure sleeping area for baby.

If they dont have bassinets, book a seat down the back of the plane, near the loos and the cabin crew. They should be helpful when they see you're alone with a baby.

Also you can bring an umbrella stroller to the gate and on the plane, or you can HIRE one in the airport if your stroller is too big and you need to check it in. If they check it in, ask for a hire stroller to take to the gate, then you can leave it there.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sunnyskies; 02-10-2012 at 08:30.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

kw123  (02-10-2012)