+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anesthetic for EPU?

I'm about to start my IVF cycle and was just wondering what peoples experience of EPU, specifically about the anesthetic. My FS said I'd have a general anesthetic, but I've heard others have locals or a local with a sedative. I was just wondering what people had done? Also did you have a choice or not? Also with ET, did you go back into hosp again for surgeory or was it just very quick like having a pap test? Cos my FS said I'd have day surgeory again to put the embie back which seems unnecessary. Thanks for any replies!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi LittleDove, my EPU is tomorrow and its my first one. I'm pretty sure I'm having a general anesthetic.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had a twilight sedation and it was fantastic. Went in, they put the needle in my arm, woke up in recovery don't remember a thing. I think under sedation you are still able to respond to the dr if they need you too, but you don't remember it. Loved that liquid valium! And i walked out 45 mins after i woke up properly. Would def recommend it.

ET is quicker and easier than a pap smear, takes less than 5 mins

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been under GA for my laps and for my Stims I felt I was under the same but not as groggy I have to ask next time I see them

Thanks
    Reviews
    My clinic (NGF in Sydney) only offers EPU under general anesthetic at a day surgery centre. I have no trouble with GAs so it doesn't worry me. I go home within 2 hours after waking up - usually once I eat something and pee they're happy to discharge me.

As for ET - it's just like a pap smear. Speculum goes in, thin catheter inserted through the cervix into the uterus and in goes the embie. It's done in the clinic. I have felt a small amount of discomfort when they put the tube in that they use to place the embryo into the uterus but it's pain free. I have heard that some clinics tell women to take 2 panadol if they are worried about pain/discomfort but I've never bothered.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had EPU under twilight sedation and it was great. I cant really remember anything at all and woke up in recovery not even really that groggy at all. Left recovery 45mins later. So thats with local and sedation through an IV.
    I was also told that egg transfer is just like a pap smear and i am surpised you RE would say that it requires another day surgery???? Its really a very short, quick and painless procedure./

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I have mine done I'm definitely going to go to sleep as I'm bit of a chicken

Thanks
    Reviews

Just on the ET side off things whilst it was like a pap they still had to admit me to the hospital but it takes like 15mins. So therefore still had to pay the hospital admin fee damn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my EPU under general. It was a good experience for me as I don't have any bad reactions to anesthetic. The egg transfer was done in my fs clinic. Process was simple and while a little uncomfortable it wasn't painful at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had EPU under sedation (GA cost more and I heard sedation wasn't too bad). Unfortunately I was very awake still and found it to be very painful. If I go back again I will be doing GA.

ET was a walk in the park. Take a camera / phone as they showed us the emby on a big screen before they put it back and I really wish we had a photo (we left the phones in the locker). 😞