+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps you're putting him down too late and he's overtired. I made that mistake often. It took me 12 months to figure out DDs sleep requirements. I would put her down when it was too late and it would take ages to settle. Sometimes I put her down and she doesn't appear tired but in less than 5 mins she's snoring her head off lol. Maybe put him in his cot after 2 hours awake time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try placing him in the cot then putting your hand on him and gently push back and forth, if you get my drift, i dont think im explaining the motion very well... I do this with children in my childcare centre who are used to being rocked to sleep and they calm and sleep quite quickly and easily. Im sure some centres will rock to sleep at times but when you have a full class with only 2 staff it can be hard and time consuming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    At 6 months bub is old enough to self settle, they just need to be taught how.

Some hints below:
    - sleep/awake times. Research average sleep/awake times for your bubs age and make sure you are putting bub to sleep at an appropriate time
    - get bub a breathable comforter with your smell on it. Use it no matter where bub sleeps (pram, cot, car)
    - get rid of all other sleep aids: dummy, patting/rocking/feeding to sleep
    - have a sleep routine. Is there a little song you sing to bub before each sleep? Do you always read a book? Bub needs some warnings that sleep time is coming.
    - make sure bub is not too hot/cold
    - be prepared for a few bad days when you get rid of the rocking/patting. It will be worth it (not having to spend up to an hour getting bub to sleep.. You'll have your life back.)

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the tips..
    I tried again this arvo putting him down after hour and half of awake time when he rubbed his eyes.. tried to rock him in the cot to settle but just got so worked up.
    I do still use a dummy.. im scared to take that off him he doesn't sleep without it.. He spits it out when he just falls asleep i don't need to re plug every hour..

But yeh i gave up again and bounced..

Has anyone had to do this? How much crying did you go through at each sleep? As in an hour beforethey slept and that went on for each nap for how many days?

just to give Me an idea of what im in for..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Has anyone had to do this? How much crying did you go through at each sleep? As in an hour beforethey slept and that went on for each nap for how many days?

just to give Me an idea of what im in for..
    A change in sleeping like this could take 3 days to a week before it really works. But it should get better and easier each day.

Have you heard of pick up put down technique? Basically when they get upset you pick them up and comfort until quiet and then put back down in cot. You may need to do this 50 times the first nap, 30 times the second etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, my ds is 7.5m and I find that he only self settles if being up for 2hr 40min- 3hrs. If I put him down much earlier he just cries and cries. When I put him down now he'll cry out once or twice then self settle.
    Maybe even try milk or food closer to his nap time, I also had to do this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Babies can handle different routines in different environments. Kids that might need mum to breastfeed or rock them to sleep, will sleep for dad when dad sings or just jiggles. Similarly with childcare, kids often settle in way they never will at home for mum or dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that your bub is either over tired or not tired enough. Instead of looking up average awake times as suggested by a pp start keeping a log of when bub gets up, when you feed and how much (if ff) when you start to put them down, when the actually fall asleep.

This will give you a good idea of the time your bub is happy to be awake for.

You will also get a feel for if bub might be hungry when you are trying to put them to sleep.

I agree with the pick up put down, it sends a message that you are there for them but that they also need to put themselves to sleep without you.

A set na

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for others who read this needing help..

I tried putting my hand on his chest and kind of rocking him slightly in the cot and running my finger from his head down his nose over and over.. Plus dummy. he winged then pause wine pause for about 10min then slept!! no picking up or bouncing.. So happy that was yesterday.
    Did that again yesterday Arvo and worked again!
    This morning put him down patted his chest a few times then rested my hand on his chest and looked away from him . 5min later he was sleeping!

I can't believe its worked.. He is up for about 2 hours now then he is easier to sleep i think i was putting him down too early.. Seems if he is over tired he is easier to nod off which is opposite to what babies are meant to be like

So happy! Thanks for all your hints and tips.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that your bub is either over tired or not tired enough. Instead of looking up average awake times as suggested by a pp start keeping a log of when bub gets up, when you feed and how much (if ff) when you start to put them down, when they actually fall asleep.

This will give you a good idea of the time your bub is happy to be awake for.

You will also get a feel for if bub might be hungry when you are trying to put them to sleep.

A set nap time routine is a definite must so bub knows its almost time for a nap. If you just pick bub up from playing and go to bounce them to sleep, they don't know that's when it is time to sleep.

I agree with the pick up put down, it sends a message that you are there for them but that they also need to put themselves to sleep without you. But if you aren't ready to do that just yet, start as a pp said and sit next to bub and rock their body from side to side to give them the same movement and then slowly wean from rocking to sleep in the cot to patting to sleep in the cot to just putting your hand on their chest across a few days. Then you can try leaving bub to do this by themself.

So it's abou the following:

1. Nap time routine
    2. Ensure bub isn't hungry
    3. Putting bub down at the right time
    4. Giving bub the confidence to sleep by themselves by using a slow wean off bouncing.

Good luck!!