+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 6mo needs rocking to sleep

I always have to rock or bounce ds to sleep for day naps . i want to stop this as sometimes it takes me 30mins of bouncing and im exhausted..
    How do i get him to just sleep when he is tired? Its really stressing me out

Right now i am in his room while he is in cot crying and grizzling .. Just being here. but its painful..
    Help please!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,
    Im sorry i dont have any solutions but i can say i know exactly how u feel my son is 8 months old and i have the exact same problem he will not sleep unless i rock him and as soon as i put him down he wakes up so i have to do it all over again! He just wont sleep unless im holding him. I guess my only advice i have for you is your not alone and i hope we both work out the solution to this problem soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Buy a rocking chair. Best thing I have in DS's room. He falls asleep in my arms day and night and all I have to do is sit and push the chair a little with my foot. Sometimes I fall asleep in it too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep, get a glider chair. I used to have to rock DS in my arms until he was 10 or 11 months old. He weighed a ton and my back is ruined! Then we transitioned to rocking in the glider chair, which worked so well, he would see it as a sleep cue, and for night wakings we could doze in the chair while he wriggled in our arms for hours. Then he moved to a big boy bed at 18 months and it was easy to transition to lying next to him and cuddling him to sleep. Yes, it would be great if he self settled but he doesn't - for me (he does for MIL). He sleeps through most nights or wakes once so it's working quite well for us.
    Last edited by duckduckgoose; 30-09-2012 at 16:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies.
    I just put him down for a nap and just bounced him. it was over an hour of driving me nuts with crying and wriggling before trying to get him to self settle maybe i just need to keep bouncing him if it works
    Im just worried when he has to start day care at 10 months what will happen? They won't rock him to sleep so i worry he will have a rough time there.. hate seeing him cry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure no but was told by someone in my mothers group they won't do that sort of thing which scared me which is why im trying to get him to self settle..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend of mine sends her DD to daycare and they are happy to rock to sleep in a pram, cuddle to sleep, etc.

Another friend has a DD who needs to be driven to sleep or taken for a walk in the pram for her day sleep (she is nearly 2), and she falls asleep at daycare just holding onto a carer's hand. My DS was still being rocked in my arms when I went back to work, my MIL looked after him and she just rocked him in the pram. She has got him self-settling in the portacot, absolutely no tears involved. Kids often have different "rules" for sleeping for different carers. Why don't you call the daycare centre and talk to them about their stance on self-settling?

And one more thing I thought, if it's taking an hour of crying to get to sleep, are you sure he's tired? He very well might be, yes, because my DS was exactly the same, would cry for ages before every nap. But also, it might be he's not ready for a sleep yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks i don't know why i didn't think to call the child care centre and ask!

yeh pretty sure he is tired he rubs his eyes and makes the grizzly aooowww sound.. But yet he has been a struggle all arvo now even with rocking.. maybe he os teething again or something.
    Gosh this is so hard! I had no idea how hard..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My suggesstipn is that if it takes more than 15min to put to sleep. Try again in 30min. Also - do you have a nap routine? We do nappy/wrap or sleeping bag/boob till drowsy then pat/cuddle to sleep.

If they are really resisting and still desperately need one - i take them for a walk in the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard of mums bouncing their bub on a gym ball makes it less tiring. How about using white noise? Free ones available for iPhones if you google it. My DS had to be carried and rocked till 18 months I almost died and cold turkeyed him out of that. This round I have invested in an automatic swing in case nothing else works. I just don't have a strong back anymore to keep carrying bub.