+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Down syndrome scan at 12 weeks. very nervous

Hi, im currently 8 weeks 3 days pregnant, they have sent a request form to have the Down Syndrome scan done, Im so scared! because i just read online that its done using a needle into the tummy ect. i have a needle phobia and im just wondering how painful this actualy is so i can be a bit prepared. im ****ting my self right now and i still have a few weeks to go befor i get it done. i know it will be worth it in the end but im still terrified. any infor would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't stress, it's done via ultrasound
    They only test with a needle (I think it's called an amnio, may be wrong?) If they want to do further testing or for more serious reasons.

If you're just having a standard downs/abormalities test, it will be via u/s.

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    the 12 weeks scan is not the amnio (needle in tummy) the 12 weeks scan is just the ultrasound to check sizes etc. I can't remember if there is a blood test to go with it, but based on ultra sound results they then advise you of the down syndrome risk and then you decide if you want to go ahead with the amniocentesis (sp??).

Try to look fwd to the scan - you get to see a pic of the little bub xx

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They also do the cvs with a needle into the tummy at 13 weeks. The amnio is later on. The 12 week thO is just a ultra sound and you get giving the option of having the needles if you present high risk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely as the others have said! No need to worry! The 12 week scan or NT test is down via ultrasound and usually a blood test. They then read these results together to give you a probability of Downs or other Trisomny issues (cant remember all of them). The 12 week scan is done at your local scan place and they also check to make sure of how many bubs there are (if you havent already had a scan), the health of bubs (they measure head, legs, etc) and check your placenta, etc. Its an awesome thing to have done so please dont worry and look forward to seeing your baby

The needle in tummy (Amnio or CVS) is only done when the risk for Downs, etc is really high and the Dr recommends having the Amnio or CVS test done. You dont have to have those tests. Entirely up to you.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thankyou

wow thank you everyone so much! you have all put my mind at ease!
    im a higher risk pregnancy due to PCOS and my doctor stuffing up. so every little thing worrys me. i have already had 4 ultrasounds and i love them expect the holding water part i dont like that so much, i cant wait to finaly see little arms and legs and a defined head,

im so at ease now about this scan, im 10 weeks tomorrow so 2 more weeks to go and we have it done and im in the first safe stage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kridy View Post
    wow thank you everyone so much! you have all put my mind at ease!
    im a higher risk pregnancy due to PCOS and my doctor stuffing up. so every little thing worrys me. i have already had 4 ultrasounds and i love them expect the holding water part i dont like that so much, i cant wait to finaly see little arms and legs and a defined head,

im so at ease now about this scan, im 10 weeks tomorrow so 2 more weeks to go and we have it done and im in the first safe stage!
    Please don't stress too much (easier said than done i know!) I have had 2 pregnancies with PCOS and that shouldn't create too many probs. (in fact they were more concerned about weight than pcos...) You should have a blood test around now and they combine that with the u's results to figure out the risk of down's. It really is an 'easy' test. xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou! they have given me the request forms to have the blood test done. also the blood tests for the diabetes one forget what they called it... they seem really protective of me and my pregnancy which i guess is good though at times i feel a little smoothered by doctors lol. im finaly starting to show now too which is great! until i needed to go shopping! my mother inlaw even noticed my bump. seems like the last 9 weeks have taken forever, i guess thats just all part of finding out early.