+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Early pregnancy bleeding?

Has anyone had bleeding in early pregnancy that didn't result in a miscarriage? I'm just looking for some reassurance.

At around 10pm last night I noticed some brownish blood so we went to the hospital. They did a urine test and an internal exam but said it was too early to do an ultrasound as they wouldn't be able to see anything anyway (5+4 weeks).

The doctor said there was a brown discharge around the cervix but there didn't appear to be any active bleeding (no bright red blood). The urine test showed positive for pregnancy still, and everything else seemed ok. I have no major cramping, some mild discomfort but I've been having that since I found out I was pregnant.

This morning there is still a tiny bit of brown spotting but still no pain. All we can do now is wait and see what happens, we have to go back to the hospital if the bleeding gets worse or if I start getting painful cramps. The information sheet we were given says that its pretty much 50/50.

Oh and they also gave us a referral for an early pregnancy clinic at another hospital but they are closed until Tuesday due to the public holiday on Monday so we were told to give them a call on Tuesday. I'm not sure what they will do but I am supposed to work on Tuesday and we kind of need the money right now so I'm not sure if I should call in sick or go to work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bleeding is very common in early pregnancy, please try not to worry. Like they said unless it is bright red and accompanied by cramping there isn't really cause for concern. I had brown/pink bleeding constantly from 5.5wks to 8.5wks, a big bleed at 12wks and again at 16wks. No probs at all, bub is now 7 wks old. Try to stay positive and good luck
    Last edited by GreenMama; 30-09-2012 at 11:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Like GreenMama said it very common in early pregnancy and unless it progresses to bright red blood and pain it usually isn't a cause for concern.
    I have had bleeding in two pregnancies. One i had a huge gush of bright red blood, then nothing else. Bub was fine.
    With my current pregnancy i have had pretty extensive bleeding from early on, it has ranged from brown blood to bright red gushes and i am now 21 weeks pregnant and bub is perfect.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did some googling and found out that sometimes spotting can happen after sex and can be completely normal...that could possibly explain what is happening. Has anyone else had this? How long was it between sex and noticing spotting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I spotted between weeks 5 and 7- and am now nursing my two week old. It's very common, try not to stress

Thanks
    Reviews
    The internal exam could've increased/continued it too. My early bleeding started the day after an internal ultrasound and the big bleed at 16 weeks happened about an hour after sex. It's very normal, everything's so sensitive in there now and your blood flow has increased loads.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to weigh in too. I had early bleeding from about 6 weeks to like 9 weeks on and off and it was brown too. I also had a MASSIVE gush at 12 weeks, of bright red blood. No cramping at anytime and we ran to the hospital consistently!
    Anyway I am now 21 weeks and baby is doing fine.
    I have had one miscarriage at 10 weeks and I had brown spotting for 5 days that then progressively got worse.

I hope you will be all ok and will think of you. It is really common so try not to worry too much but I know its easier said than done.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopefully Waiting For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I had brown spotting from weeks 5-7 including a decent gush which scared the sh!t out of me.

I had a little bleed around the sac which they think was from implantation. I guess I slowly bled it out ( was always brown blood) cause at 8 weeks we saw our little baby with a strong heartbeat and no sign of the bleed. Haven't had any spotting for over a week now.

Best of luck. I know how scary it is

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi DarcyJ! Early on, about 5wks 6days, I had bright bleeding, enough to soak a pad, which was after about a week of VERY bad cramping - I was petrified but had a scan and all was fine, albeit a tiny blob with a fresh heartbeat! I then had a little spotting about a month later. I'm now 14 weeks and at my 12 week scan my OB said bubby was "perfect". When I had the bleeding I came on here and I think I scared myself by reading all the worst case scenarios so I just had to share that bleeding doesn't always spell disaster.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaO For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-09-2012)