+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dog behaving differently - is it because I'm pregnant?

I'd love to hear your thoughts - I am 8 weeks pregnant, and pretty much since I became pregnant, my lovely almost 2 year old GSP dog has regressed in behaviour badly. We're having to go through all the naughty (and sometimes dangerous) things he did when he was a lot younger.

I've read lots of people's comments online that their dogs became clingy and affectionate - I wish! He's definitely still kind and nice to me, no aggression or any attempts to boss me around, but he has started jumping up at me (he weighs 35 kgs, that is not a nice feeling when he does a running leap at me, not to mention a bit dangerous if I fall badly), has started getting pretty whiney/howling and demanding when I eat or when he feels he is not #1 for even a few minutes. If I ignore him, he's gone back to the not-so-good old days of circling the room and jumping up on tables/counters to find whatever he can find that he should not touch to grab, run off with and generally be naughty!

I just don't get it. Four months ago he was just starting to settle into being the placid, wonderful companion we knew he would be. There is nothing else that has changed to explain this unless he's just going through another phase. Despite my fatigue and nausea, I have been almost able to entirely keep up with the 1.5-2 hours of exercise he used to get every day (it's been killing me!). Admittedly I have to stop for breathers regularly, but he does not seem phased by this - more time to sniff things. He's also been getting lots of love and attention.

Anyway, I would love to know if anyone had similar experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice sorry when I was pregnant with DD my English mastiff who weighed about 55kg used to just stare at me for ages and sometimes sniff me lol. When it started even I didn't know I was pregnant

My only suggestion is stick to your routine and plenty of affection from you and hubby. Best of luck with your fur baby and your pregnancy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

casio1  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I don't know if it is pregnancy related in your case (only TTC here) but my dog has just 'turned' 2 and has really regressed to being naughty, aggressive to other dogs, begging for food, whining non stop etc, when for the last year he's been great. I took him to the vet for something unrelated and mentioned the behaviour change to her and was very surprised to hear that dogs also go through a "terrible twos" stage. The vet said they can start acting out, being naughty/aggressive to test their boundaries and position within the household, her advice was to keep a diary to see if these behaviours were triggered by something and to not tell them off as it was attention seeking but without looking at them put the dog on a leash and lead them outside/to another room/laundry and give them time out and if it doesn't pass in a few months to consider speaking to a trainer.

I hope this might help or at least re-assues you that its normal and not a just an annoying turn of events.

Congrats and Goodluck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jan01 For This Useful Post:

casio1  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, Nelle if only he'd sniff at me and stare instead of being crazy possessed beast. I will keep up the insane exercise and training, it does seem to help him be a little tiny bit more content and settled.

That's really interesting Jan01. I kept getting told that when he turned 2 everything would settle down and had been counting down the days! Nooo!!

To be honest he has been the most challenging dog I have ever met, but I still love him to bits. He is so happy-go-lucky and outgoing and sweet natured so you feel terrible when you discipline him but he's so so SMART at figuring out new ways to be naughty, so there is a lot of disciplining while he 'learns' the lessons (I'm sure he "got it" the first time but loves testing it out some more!). Seriously, this dog figured out how to open the doors inside our house -they are polished porcelain round knobs (not the lever type) that even I struggle with when I have damp hands. Creepy smart.

I think you're right that it's attention seeking, because if I simply lead him out the door and close him out of the house minus telling him off/eye contact, he always seems a bit stunned and seems to smarten up for a little while when I eventually let him back in. I just have to persevere some more, but it feels like the longest almost two years of my life! I suppose this is why they are called practice babies!

Best of luck in your TTC journey - its not only TTC, you've already come a long way just in the deciding to try part!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey congrats on the pregnancy and good on you for keeping up with the dog's exercise routine.
    I defenitely can say dogs know something is up when we're pregnant, if they can sniff cancer they can sniff the huge hormonal change we have. That said your pups behaviour is maybe a 'I'll take control then' reaction!? Maybe your behaviour/energy has shifted?
    I have a large dog and when he'd attempt the jump thing I would turn and give him my side or back and walk away, he caught up on it... of course lots of praise I he'd greet me without jumping.
    Did I read it correctly that you look at him in the eyes when telling him off? Because he might just take that as an aggressive challenge hence the misbehaving/rebelling, some dogs get used to it and don't see it as a form of aggression but in nature speak that's a bad thing it means you're ready for a fight.
    Try some calm time with pup, might help settle him a bit. Just sit in the room one or two meters away from him and relax, consciously breathing calmly and listening to his breathing, dogs don't need to be touched to feel our presence ( I was scheptical about this but its really true) your calm presence will rub off on him too.
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure if this is any consolation... But my 3 year old tiny 4kg dog (who we only had about a year when we got pregnant) used to love and adore me. I was her favourite. She was great for me. Walked great, came when I called her, curled up on my lap to watch tv etc etc. everything you'd expect from a lapdog. Loved her walks daily with me. Since getting pregnant, right from the word go, til now (I'm 31 weeks) she no longer loves and adores me... She just wants to be with my husband. She won't sit with me, come when I call her and walks terribly on the lead!!! So I didn't get the love and affection protection thing from my dog, she couldn't care less!!!! So sad!!! I wonder what she will be like baby arrives.
    Ps... Super impressed you can keep up your daily walk, I found that really hard early in pregnancy because of feeling so unwell!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt really notica a change in behaviour in my dog with my first pregnancy. I only remember her sleeping on the floor next to my side of the bed every night in the final weeks of my pregnancy tho. Which is unusual for her.
    This pregnancy however she has turned feral to the point we have had to stop her comming inside in fear of knoking over/hurting dd who only started walking a few mths ago.
    She's now very boistorius and rough. Constantly barking. When i go to give her a pat and try to settle her down she almost knocks me over by jumping all over me or sitting on my feet and pushing all her rump onto my leg. She has even started "humping" my leg - whcih i know is a dominating sign. I just dont know whats going on with her atm
    Shes a 3yr old border collie, we have had her since she was a 10week old pup. Appart from her barking at birds and the postie, we have never had any issues with her up untill about 6mths ago She's well trained and usually good with dd. Now i just dont trust her at all.....maybe she senses that, i dont know.
    I kinda feel like ive lost the bond with her.
    I have tried including her on dd and my walks but i just cant handle the stroller, being 7mths pregnant and her. DH has tried taking just her (the dog) and he has also said she's changed - absolutely awful on the lead.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 30-09-2012 at 07:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. I'm really glad to know my dog is not the only one who did not go down the "became super affectionate and protective" route.

To be honest, the mutt seems to know I posted about him and today turned on the charm big time. He's gone back to being a happy lil (ok big) dude following me around and basically being my happy companion. Still plenty of sparkle, just heaps less of the feral stuff. I hate to say it but he does not handle the heat very well and I think that this is partly why he's being more subdued so no miracle overnight fixes.

I will keep ignoring any bad behaviour as I am pretty convinced the main motivator for him is attention seeking. I am still exercising him heaps, but I have had to drop off all the other things I used to do (like working in the garden) which he used to accompany me on, so perhaps he's annoyed at the amount of time mum is spending laying on the couch.

Tamtam and hunkamunka, I really hope that your pups improve. It's been quite sad seeing mutt become so unsettled and seemingly unhappy and I can not explain to him whats happening. Very frustrating! I bet a few years from now the poor boy will be the bub's best mate (and not just because he thinks baby toys are pretty spiffy!), the breed is known for being particularly good/careful/patient with kids.