+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The birth of baby Jude.

On 4:20am 28th of September 2012 we welcomed our beautiful baby boy Jude Cohen Craig into the world, 10days early weighing 7lb10z, 54cm in length and 100% perfect :cloud9blue:

The week leading up to Jude's birth I knew my body was starting to prepare, I had a dramatic drop in my belly, horrible diarrhoea, nausea and braxton hicks were increasing in intensity, but only 2weeks from my duedate didn't mean he we would come early.

Earlier in the week I had quite intense BH, they started to form a pattern and I thought for sure it was the real deal, it was then I told DF that we may have a baby soon, he had a mini freak out but much to my disappointment they eased off and the days ticked on by. On the 27th I went out to lunch with my parents, I was complaining the whole time about braxton hicks and how annoying they were and wishing they would progress. At that stage I wasn't even over pregnancy, actually it had been my best pregnancy out of the three, I felt great! But I was eager to meet my little man. By that afternoon I had been having BH all day but still no pattern and not very intense so I shrugged it off to my body preparing and told myself that this could go on for weeks even though in the back of my mind I knew it was something more. I had never had prelabour with my other two children so it was a completely different experience and as most women at 38wks I was over analysing every niggle so I ignored my instincts.

Later that afternoon I decided to take the kids for a long walk around the park in hope that it would help progress whatever it was my body was doing. I still didn't think it was labour but thought what the hell, walking is what helped with my last two labours. During the walk they ramped up in intensity a little, I was still able to continue with the walk but was starting to think labour was beginning. We came home and I bounced on the fit ball for a while but things slowed down and I started to think I was going crazy, so I went on with the afternoon as normal. DF got home from work and after the boys went to bed I did a few blocks of our street and sure enough the BH returned. Came home and told DF that I had been getting some BH but didn't tell him I suspected it was labour to avoid another freak out. Contractions continued coming every 5minutes but weren't painful so I decided to go to sleep. It was 9:30, I laid in bed very uncomfortably and unable to sleep because of the tightenings. DF had already dozed off so I decided to watch a movie. Contractions were still coming and I decided to time them on a Contraction app I downloaded, coming every 3mins, lasting around 30sec.

It was now 11pm and I was having to breathe through contractions so I decided to call my mum and sister, neither of them answered their phones and I started to freak out, my sister lives 2 houses down and was meant to watch the boys for me when and my mum was supposed to be my other support person. By 12:30am Contractions were quite intense and decided I better wake DF and tell him what was happening, I still hadn't spoke to either my sister or mother. DF shot up half dazed and started to get dressed, I got really emotional that neither my sister or mum were answering their phones. Contractions ended up easing off a little and decided I should try get some sleep, I still wasn't convinced I was in active labour but if it was I needed some rest because I completely exhausted.
    Around 1:45am I woke up to an extremely painful contraction, checked my phone, no missed calls. Tried to phone my mum again, no answer. Contractions were coming every 3mins and definitely more intense. Finally my phone starts to ring and it's my mum! Apparently her mobile was on silent and because their house is so big she couldn't hear the home phone. She knew straight away what was happening and asked what the hospital said, When I told her I hadn't called them yet she got up me and told me to ring them and ring her back once I spoke to them.
    Rang the maternity ward and the same midwife that delivered my eldest son almost 5years ago answered the phone, I got a little excited as he was amazing in my first birth. I let him know what was going on, I still wasn't even sure I was in labour! and explained that I'm not sure if I just had a high pain threshold or if they were just BH, in reality I didn't want to go in and be told that I wasn't in labour and to go home. But he said that given my previous births were both so quick that I should come in so they could examine me and let me know where I was at.
    I ended up going to my sisters and woke her up, she had to get dressed and came over. During that time I shoved some more stuff in our hospital bags and got DF to load them into the car. Once my sister arrived we left for the hospital.

3:00am we arrived at the hospital, Michael the midwife set us up in a birth suite. I let him know I thought I had a hindwater leak so he got me to give him a wee sample and then hooked me up to a CTG and went off to test for the leak. Not even 15minutes later and a huge pop, my waters had broke. Shay let Michael know my waters had broken and he came in and let me know there was not much point in checking for the leak now and decided he would do an internal and check cervix, dilation and engagement. After he finished I was slightly disappointed when he said I was only 4cm, I let out a sigh and said I guess we might be in for a longer then expected night, but he assured me that it wouldn't be very long because my cervix was very short and soft and he expected me to dilate very quickly.
    It was around 3:45am and contractions had ramped right up, coming every 1-2min and extremely painful, it was at this stage that I started saying the usual "I am never doing this again" "I'm in so much pain". I jumped in the shower to get cleaned up and help ease the pain, after around 10minutes in the shower I started to get bad diarrhoea and inbetween contractions I was on the toilet, thankfully it eased after a few contractions and I went back into the suite where I propped some pillows on the ground and knelt on them over the bed. I had DF go get Michael so he could warm my heatpack but by the time he came in I had an uncontrollable urge to push and my body took over. Contractions were so painful that I was almost throwing up from the pain and passing out from exhaustion, but I made myself push as hard as I could during contractions and his head was delivered, two more pushes and his body followed.

We had delayed cord clamping and he was brought up to my chest for skin to skin. After 15minutes DF cut the cord and baby Jude latched onto my breast for his first feed. I delivered the placenta and Jude continued to feed for the next hour. Within 1 hour I had gone from just 4cm to a baby in my arms

Attachment 26693Attachment 26694Attachment 26695

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

MonsterMummy  (16-10-2012),Purple Lily  (02-10-2012),Rutabaga  (02-10-2012),summastarlet  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    What a beautiful birth and such a gorgeous little man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh congratulations!! He is totally beautiful, your story and photos had me in tears, you did an amazing job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Beautiful story!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats, what a little cutie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awww beautiful, congratulations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congrats! Hes gorgeous

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Sunnybambino  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a lovely story and a beautiful name. However did you think of Jude Cohen?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. Wishing you much love in your beautiful family xoxo Mary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! I am absolutely in awe of this new little person, he is amazing!

The name holds musical representation which reflects on us but basically DF chose his first name and I chose the middle name as it was what we had picked out from my last pregnancy but never got to use it, we changed our mind hundreds of times for different reasons but decided to go with what we loved