+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Savoury muffins

Does anyone have a good recipe? Preferably with bacon and mixed vegetables.
    Or any other yummy toddler friendly lunch recipes?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Savoury muffin

I've got a yummy one. I'm just feeding DD to sleep so I'll edit my post once done

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I made some today

2 cups flour (self raising or 1 s/r and 1 plain), 1 cup milk, 1 egg lightly beaten, 125g melted butter (you can probably replace with olive oil, margarine or whatever). That's the base, then add whatever you like - I did cheese, grated zucchini, spinach and bacon last time. I cooked the bacon first. This time I used grated carrot, cheese, sundried tomato, spinach and spring onion. I have an oversupply of spinach in my garden and quite a few spring onions so they are both going in lots if things at the moment!

DD is 1 so i made mini size muffins and she loved them.

Next time I think I'd leave out the sundried tomato, it was a bit overpowering.

They're awesome lunch box/out and about food - I freeze them and chuck them in the lunch box if we're going out for the day. They keep other things like cheese cool as they defrost and are ready to eat at lunch time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    I'm going to try them tomorrow.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not savoury muffins, but I have been making pizza pockets.

500g plain flour
    1teaspoon salt
    280ml milk/water or combo of the two, warm (body temp/baby bottle temp)
    2 teaspoons of dried yeast

Combine salt and flour in a bowl. Add yeast to liquids, mix well. Add the liquid mix to the flour, mix well until it comes together and then knead until it forms a smooth elastic dough. Put dough in an oiled bowl, cover with cling wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size (30-60 mins). Divide dough into 12 (I divide into 4 portions, then divide each of those into 3) and let rest for 15 minutes before rolling out, thin and circular.
    Put your favourite filling on one side and fold over to enclose. Crimp the edges like a pastie to keep the filling in.
    Bake in a hot oven of 200-220deg until golden.

My kids love these. They are great cold and freeze well. We had them for dinner tonight. Some had regular pizza filling of salami, cheese, capsicum, tomato and olive. The others had caremelised onion, spinach, cheese and sliced boiled egg.
    20ml of oil. They travel well too and don't fall apart. We took some to the Melbourne show the other day for lunch.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (29-09-2012),headoverfeet  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yum! I'm so making the pizza pockets. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do zucchini slice in mini muffin tins so easy to hold and freeze, plus try frittata , salmon nuggets , corn and zucchini fritters, mini red onion and goats cheese quiches ( you can add bacon to all these!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    MINI QUICHES
    • 1 onion
    • 1 grated carrot
    • 1 grated zucchini
    • 3 rashers of bacon
    • 3 eggs
    • ¼ cup of cream
    • 1 cup grated tasty cheese
    • ½ cup of self raising flour
    • Salt / pepper to season
    Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.Saute onion & bacon until soft, add grated carrot / zucchini and sauté for further 3 minutes. Set aside.Whisk 3 eggs, cream, tasty cheese.Stir in flour, sauté mix and seasoning (do not over mix them).Spoon into mini muffin pan and bake for 12-14 minutes.

NOTE:
    This recipe does claim to be a muffin recipe, but it’s not floury like muffins, its more eggy like quiche. I didn’t have any cream so I used natural yoghurt instead. I also added a couple of teaspoons of chia seeds and before baking them I sprinkled them with parmesan cheese.
    Last edited by GirlsRock; 29-09-2012 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Savoury muffins

Sorry got totally sidetracked

Veggie Muffins
    1 egg
    Mushrooms finely chopped
    Zucchini finely chopped
    Onion finely chopped

Mix vegetables (65g all up) with beaten egg
    Cook in muffin tin approximately 15-20 minutes

I used to do them in a mini muffin tin. The recipe is from when I was on the Dr Cohen's diet but they are so yummy I've kept having them. The 65g was the veggie allowance for breakfast