+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Do whatever works for you. If a dummy is doing more good than harm, then keep using it. Try not to worry too much about what will happen 2/3/4 etc months down the track.

DS had a dummy from 1 month up until about 8 months. He liked it but it got to the point where he saw it as a toy rather than something to soothe himself with - he would just flick it and wave it around. I packed them all up one day and I don't even think he noticed.

I just wanted to add... obviously DS doesn't have a dummy anymore, but he's still not sleeping through. So in my case having or not having a dummy made no difference.
    Last edited by Hamilicious; 29-09-2012 at 21:05.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    he is only liddle ...

I didn't stress about my boys using the dummy till they were around 2 years old .. I embraced how calming they found it.

around age two .. dentists tend to express concern because they believe that it can impact on the teeth by then .. but up till then .. meh ..

if something as simple as a dummy works ... my advice is to use it

when my DS1 was around 2 .. his brother was born .. and he was able to understand that the baby needed the dummies - and that he was grown up now .. DS2 self weaned off the dummy by around 1 year old ... he honestly didn't want it anymore ..

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was always against dummies but DD got very sick as a baby and at 8 weeks the nurses gave DD a dummy for comfort... She would only have it for sleeps and it got to the stage where is was the only way she would go to sleep.

I never had any problems with her sleeping, she slept through the night with her dummy and was only allowed it for sleeps. BUT now at 3 she is completely and utterly attached and dependent on her dummy! She does need it to go to bed but doesn't need it to sleep if that makes sense? She is emotionally attached to it like some kids are to their favorite toy or blankie. Once she is in bed asleep she is fine. If it comes out during the night it's no issue, she will continue to sleep through the night.

I have NO idea how to get the dummy off her, there is no way in hell she will go to bed without it, she would scream, cry and completely melt down without it, so I've yet to try. I have taken it off her of a day and hope she will wean herself.

If I could go back in time I would still give her the dummy, it has put us in a bad position now, but as a baby it really was a blessing.

With the next baby I'm hoping to avoid the dummy, but won't be bother if we end up using one. I'm sure I would have avoided one with DD too had she not been such a sick baby.

I think do what works for you. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is hard to get to sleep as it is, so a dummy is my lifesaver. She's always been a sucker right from birth and she slept and settled so much better. She always spits it out once she's asleep and has slept through the night since 7 weeks old. I only use it now as a sleep cue so at almost 13 months old I'll let her wean from it herself if it's before age 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've used one for both of mine at one stage DD had hers all the time, I didn't really like her sucking on it all day so we just reduced it to bed time only, on the odd occasion she would wake at night and I have to give it to her again.
    I thought that was better then being up for hours, I liked that she could settle herself that way.
    Just after 2 we started the "your a big girl now conversations," then when we'd have ppl over we'd make a big deal about putting it away so no one would see, one night DH said to her there is no way I'd be seen with a dummy at the age of 2 thats so baby-ish, she went to her room got it and threw it in the bin. I was so mortified lol but I had also got her a 'special" teddy in the mean time, so we focused on that the next few nights when she asked about her dummy.
    Getting rid of it was way easier then anticipated.

DS is 18mths, we only use it for bed time. We have a few in the cot so he gets himself at night if he wakes. I think we won't be able to get rid of his at 2, because he is just no where near as verbal. So you can't really have a conversation with him. I don't see it as a problem though.

It's like every other aspect of parenting when you say something stick to it, don't go back on your word, and choose your battles. Like I wouldn't take it away while they're teething or have a cold as they need a comfort item just that little bit mor then.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *Shrug* DS ONLY used a dummy at nap time or bed time. I wouldn't give it to him otherwise.
    So it was absolutely a sleep cue for him. He was ok though, most of the time if he spat it out it didn't bother him. We weened him off his dummy at around 2.5 years old, a few months after moving house (didn't want to do it straight afterwards). Yeah we had a few tearful nights and I felt like a mean mummy because he seemed to have SUCH trouble getting to sleep.

After maybe a week he'd completely forgotten about dummies all together.

I know a couple who's daughter is a few months older than DS (now 3.5 yrs old) who still runs around with a dummy in her mouth all day. That worries me, or more to the point I worry about her teeth. But each to their own, we do what works for our kids .

Thanks
    Reviews
    my son had a dummy, at around 2yo i accidentally cut his dummy rendering it useless. he probably had a bit of a whinge that night (nothing major) but then it was fine.

my baby girl sleeps through no problems with the dummy. from about 6 months she puts it back in herself if she wakes. i can put her down in the cot awake, with the dummy and she goes off to sleep by herself - no bottle, no boob.

and i'm one who swore i'd never use a dummy either but honestly don't know how i would have stayed sane without one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Dummies cause sleep association problems, which hampers bubs ability to sleep through the night. If bub transitions through to another sleep cycle and the dummy isn't there bub will crack it.

Out of my mothers group bubs that have problems waking multiple times a night all use dummies. Some were told that before they can go to sleep school they have to get rid of the dummy.

I know it can be hard but if you're prepared for a few nights worth of pain weaning bub from the dummy will be worth it. Using a breathable comforter, putting bub to bed drowsy but awake, having a solid bedtime routine, not rocking/patting to sleep will be worth it.

Sorry I can't paint a rosy picture about dummies which is probably want you want. But in my experience dummies are short term gain for long term pain. If you want your bub to sleep through, get rid of the dummy now...

Good luck.
    I think if you survey mothers with multiple night time wakers you will find pretty evenly spaced numbers of sleep strategies being used - not just dummy users. I even know quite a few CIO moms that still have wakings.

DS never had a dummy but he was and still is fed to sleep. I think do whatever works and whatever keeps them calm - especially at the age of yours OP!

I used the Pantley Pull Off eventually which worked wonders. Maybe if you ever find yourself getting up a million times a night to replace the dummy (and I say IF you do because some dummy users just want it at the beginning of the night) you can give Pantley's book a read as there are gentle methods for dummy users in there too!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (30-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    both my babies had dummies from birth and then were taken off them cold turkey at 12months old, no problems here, i dont see why theyre such a bad thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually find that if between cycles he doesnt have a dummy in he'd wake up and i'd have to replace it... And then replace it several times until he falls asleep again so its not great for nighttimes for us. I try to offer him hos hand first or boob... Just dont want him to wake up for boob every hour too!