+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is dummy really IS a bad sleep prop?

Im becoming aware that my 3.5 months old is soooo dependant on a dummy to fall asleep. He catnaps during the day & cant resettle without a dummy. Occasionally i was able to soothe/rock him to almost asleep & then put him down when he has a '7 mile stare' and then he'd go on his own but since couple of weeks ago i cant do it anymore cos it takes ages for him to get to that stary stage cos he is so interested in everything! So dummy is the only way is it a bad prop? Will it backfire during 4-6 months sleep regression? When do i start thinking of weaning and how? We only try to use it 6am-6pm so not during the night but once he is awake from night sleep past 5am he cant fall asleep without dummy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Do whatever works because fighting it will just put more stress on both of you and you won't look back on this age fondly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also have a 3.5 month old who is exactly the same! I figure ill worry about it later lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My babies have always been fed to sleep (boobs as dummies) or have a comfort suck before falling asleep. If it works for you! Do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I doubt using a dummy will make sleep regression any harder (or necessarily easier).

Before we had children I was adamant I didn't want to use a dummy. When DD was 5 weeks old we bought one and haven't looked back, she's now almost 2.5 yrs old and only ever has it for sleep time. We probably had an opportunity at around 3-4 months where we could have got rid of it (had just been to Tresillian sleep school at the time), but chose to keep going and it has been helpful for us. We'll probably help her to give it up in the next few months now she's a "big girl" and old enough to talk it through.

My personal feeling is that as long as it is only a prop at sleep time then there's no harm done. DD's speech and teeth seem fine and sleep time isn't a huge struggle so we're happy

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I hate the dummy because they can't put them back in themselves. I went cold turkey with my first child when I was at my wits end and over getting up to replace the dummy every 20 minutes. With my second and currently with my third who is 3 months, I have not offered a dummy at all. Both suck/ed thumbs which is so much easier because they can control it themselves and never lose it. My 4yo recently gave up the thumb with a lycra thumb glove designed to stop thumb sucking. She wore it nightly for 4 months.

Weaning? As in weaning from the dummy? If the dummy is more trouble than it's worth, do it now. You will have 2-3 horrific days, but if you give free access to boobs and lots of cuddles, those days will be over by this time next weekend and you won't be getting out of bed to find dummies over and over for the next couple of years. We went cold turkey at 15 months, I so wish I had done it at 3 months like my bff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I happily use the dummy with ds2 who is 7.5m old. So far I only get up once in the night for him (he continues to sleep if it falls out, he wakes for a feed). Soon my ds will be able to find it himself, I'll just leave 2-3 inside the cot.
    I read that dummies can actually retuce SIDS. Do whatever works for you.
    Ps: my ds1 decided himself at the age of 2yrs and 3m that he no longer wanted the dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Bad sleep aid..

Dummies cause sleep association problems, which hampers bubs ability to sleep through the night. If bub transitions through to another sleep cycle and the dummy isn't there bub will crack it.

Out of my mothers group bubs that have problems waking multiple times a night all use dummies. Some were told that before they can go to sleep school they have to get rid of the dummy.

I know it can be hard but if you're prepared for a few nights worth of pain weaning bub from the dummy will be worth it. Using a breathable comforter, putting bub to bed drowsy but awake, having a solid bedtime routine, not rocking/patting to sleep will be worth it.

Sorry I can't paint a rosy picture about dummies which is probably want you want. But in my experience dummies are short term gain for long term pain. If you want your bub to sleep through, get rid of the dummy now...

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I wish ds3 would take a dummy it makes life so much easier for me. I have 4 that had one and 2 that didn't. i prefer them to have one.