+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default If your boss said to you...

To set the scene: Imagine you had been off work for two years due to an injury that made you incapable of working. You had kept in contact with your work for the whole two years with medical updates etc etc.

You recently returned about two months ago, but not without hassles. Trying to call the boss to arrange the return to work was a nightmare; he never answered his phone etc etc, but it eventually happened.

Of course, work has changed a bit- new procedures and ways of doing things, budget cuts have made the job a bit more harder and some of the changes don't seem to make sense to you.

If your boss pulled you into his office, and said to you that he wasn't really interested in you coming back (although legally he had no leg to stand on, the job was always yours) because you had been away too long and that you were 'being negative' about the job- what would you do?

Would you report him? Ignore him? Go on about the job but try to be more positives (as an aside, you don't feel you are being negative at all, simply asking why some of the procedures have changed because the new way doesn't make much sense)

I'm very interested to hear your opinions, as this happened to my DP yesterday, and he is very upset about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's tough...depends what he wants to achieve I guess...of he wants to stay the. I would document what was said and anything further incase boss tries to get rid of him, I probably wouldn't report unless it got worse in hope that things may improve?

What a sucky situation for him to be in!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Thanks, that's a good idea about documenting it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd sit on it for a while too, just keep a record. Sounds like a really tough situation.

But just to play devils advocate since it has been two years all the other employees probably did all their complaining back then, regarding the changes, now his the only one adapting, therefore the only one having difficulties. So this maybe why his boss is saying he is being negative, perhaps if he just through general conversation says something about bearing with him while he gets his head around the changes.

Really nothing worse then having to go to a work place where you feel uncomfortable!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it was ME- tell him to go jump! Report him.

If it was DH- It would absolutely depend on if DH loved his job and wanted to stay or was happy to leave.

If he wanted to stay. I'd document everything, possibly get him to talk to the boss. See if there was anything he could do to change his mind about him not being the right person for the job anymore. Talk to him rationally and professionally about the job and his worries, ask if doing extra training would be a good option to get baxk into the swing of things especially of protocol ect has changed. If the boss is a complete and utter A hole I would probably avoid talking to him but continue to document everything and report if things started to get out of hand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I'd want to know specifics from the boss. As what the processes are now so that I would know what to do and can therefore function more effectively. No one is telepathic.

Maybe suggest a re-orientation. Two years is a long time to be away from a job. Do they have an orientation for new employees?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm older and crankier and I don't put up with much cr#p from workplaces anymore. I would be saying 'well, pay me out. For the right amount of money, i'll walk'. I couldn't work under someone who didn't want me there

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (29-09-2012),Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bec- he did go through orientation, but I think the course was aimed at people who have never worked there before, not returning employees.

In the time he had off, the company was actually bought out by a major shareholder (a big Australian company) so I imagine things are being done the new companies way, and not the way he knows.

I'll be the first to admit my DP can be a little adverse to change, but the way he has described it to me, his workplace is heavily over-managed and under-staffed on the floor. He is frustrated by the fact that he can't do his job efficiently due to budget cuts, and when they are really under pressure to achieve outcomes, the managers call in a 3rd party to come and do their jobs- all the men on the floor who DP has talked to have all expressed that this would be unnecessary if they didn't try and save so much money (which they aren't saving at all, because they're continually having to pay a 3rd party to come to the rescue)

Honestly, I'm surprised DP hasn't told his boss to shove it, however he has been in this job for 12 years, and I think the idea of finding a new job and starting from scratch is the only thing that is still making him compliant with his boss.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Sounds like he's being stuck between a rock and hard place.

If management won't listen to feedback from staff on how they can do their jobs more efficiently then that is the sign of a really poor workplace.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (29-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start keeping records of everything, including diary etc like the other ladies have said. Do not let them walk all over you, but at this stage I would go for a wait and see approach. I would also probably ask to speak to the boss again in a relatively informal catch-up type meeting, and then mirror exactly what he said to you, and say it upset you and you just want to make sure you did not misunderstand. You might get a rapid back-peddle but it also makes it clear to the boss that while you are reasonable and willing to forgive a rude once-off, you are not a push over and he should watch his step in future. He might be trying his luck and hoping he will upset you enough that you just quit and leave quietly.

You can also lodge a file with Fair Work Australia. Doesn't mean you actually want to take any action (yet) but if you end up wanting to, then it is better that you've been updating them with the situation as it's proceeded rather than just straight up reporting it. It shows the time line of the problem quite clearly if you've been lodging bits and pieces with the government (as opposed to a diary which someone with less-than-moral motives can maybe say you've fabricated because you're angry about something as a once off). They can also assist in advising you of your rights etc. Of course if it somehow all blows over and the boss was having a sh!t week/month/whatever, then the file just sits there, no harm done.

Good luck.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to casio1 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-09-2012)