+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Home made fresh pasta sauce

Hi everyone,

I normally make my own pasta sauce. Which i was meant to do tonight. I am unable to get out to the shops this afternoon so am wondering if tomatoe pasta sauce would taste okay with out the tomatoe paste. Like it is meant to have. I have everything else but the tomatoe paste.

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah, I never add tomato paste and haven't really noticed the difference! It'll still be yummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have done that before it's a bit of a pita! The only thing I've found when I don't have tomato paste is that the sauce is a little more watery, the paste just thickens it up a bit but definitely not a major problem and will still be tasty I'm sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I never use tomato paste in my sauce? I did not think it was the normal way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're Italian here and we use passata and no tomato paste at all. Just put a dash of milk in the sauce to take the acidity away and a pinch of sugar. Giving out family secrets here :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm making it ATM. I don't use tomato paste. I roast tomatoes, capsicums, onion and garlic with balsamic and olive oil for a couple of hours. Then to make a Bol I fry the mince, add the roasted veggies and a can of diced tomatoes. Fresh basil is good too! I don't think paste is really needed tbh.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ooh sounds yummy ciaomummy ! Will try that for sure!

If I run out of paste I sometimes add an extra tin of tomatoes and cook it down a bit with the lid off, that gives it a nice flavour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well if you're interested here is the recepie:
    Fry 1 onion (finely diced) with a little oil and butter till it is translucent, add passata (glass bottles no tins no paste) then a dash of milk and sugar and a teaspoon (more if you like salty) of vegeta OR a cube of vegetable stock. Add fresh basil leaves (if I'm out I use one or two teaspoons of pesto) and cook on medium heat for 30min DONE!!
    For two people I use half a bottle of passata but I always make extra and freeze so that should be good for 4/6 people.
    The main reason we don't use tin tomatoes is that the sauce should be smooth also I find the tin tomatoes to be more watery and sweet, just not to my taste.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-09-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aw thanks Hun, I feel honoured to be given your secret family recipe Clever trick with the milk, I hadn't heard that before

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Jennybaby  (01-10-2012),LoCo  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never used tomato paste ever and ciaomumma milk? Wow I will try this!!! Never heard of it