+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    A discussion...it's interesting the ideas behind it.

If these arguments are mainly irrelevant to you- why post a response at all?

If you don't find it interesting...then don't post...

ETA: If you believe it is wrong to take a life then doesn't point 3 apply to your beliefs? When does life actually commence? Conception? In utero development stage? First breath?
    It's sort of interesting, I just find the article full of cr@p. For example point 3 is full of highschool biology terms strung together with no real point or objective... It is irrelevant to me as when most women have an abortion, a heart beat can be found. And in many cases movement can be detected on an ultrasound. Yet the article is focused on god knows what instead of trying to 'debunk' the obvious prolife arguments i mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I know a few people IRL that are very against abortion. But I am too scared to ask them this particular scenario as they are very religious and too be honest can't be bothered with the argument. I ask this particular question because I did have a friend who ended up having to terminate for this reason but sadly left her 4 year old orphaned when she lost her battle. She struggled over the idea of terminating because she was catholic and also she did not to be judged by society had she survived, as well as the obvious of terminating the life of her unborn baby of hers and her new husband. I am pro choice because of this and also seeing kids mal-treated and malnourished because they were unwanted yet the mothers saw it as socially unaccepted to abort yet acceptable to pay no attention to or even feed their kids cos they can't be bothered with them.

Not having a go at all, just explaining my reasons.
    What a terribly unbearable situation for your friend to be in...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Abortions are always going to be a touchy subject and regardless of this article having valid points, people that are anti-abortion will ALWAYS have something to fight back with... Much like the vaccination debate!
    I believe people are entitled to their own personal beliefs, opinions and choices, as long as they respect those of others.
    It would certainly be a lot easier if there were only true facts brought into conversations though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I always feel weird in these threads when the "life starts at..." stuff begins... because women here have, and will have, miscarriages. I would never say to a woman going through a loss like that, "Oh, don't worry, your baby wasn't really a baby..." or "it wasn't really human life..." or anything... so I'm always worried I will say things that may upset women who have lost babies in-utero.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

wannawannabe  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I always feel weird in these threads when the "life starts at..." stuff begins... because women here have, and will have, miscarriages. I would never say to a woman going through a loss like that, "Oh, don't worry, your baby wasn't really a baby..." or "it wasn't really human life..." or anything... so I'm always worried I will say things that may upset women who have lost babies in-utero.
    I understand what you're saying. It's so very personal as to how women experience loss. If it was a baby to them, it was a baby - a life to be mourned.

For another woman, well her experience may be completely different and that must also be respected.

Termination must be legal, it must safe and it must be an informed choice.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (30-09-2012),giggle berry  (30-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    What a terribly unbearable situation for your friend to be in...
    it really was. her pain at making the decision left such an impression on me that I can only be pro choice. So many people see it as black and white yet there are so many grey areas that I have wondered at what point someone who is against it will decide it is acceptable. IyKWIM.

I find it truly interesting hearing every ones take on this. Even if it one of those often heated topics.

I also suspect maybe this was started as a way of bringing some colour to the hub...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slightly off-topic, but personally I hate the use of the word abortion in this context as opposed to termination (Much hated gripe, apologies, just one of those things that gets my goat). An abortion (explusion of the foetus from the uterus prior to viability) can mean either spontaneous (miscarriage) or induced (medical or surgical).

Agree with others, there will always be an argument for pro-choice and pro-life (personally am pro-choice for everyone else - would much prefer people used contraception properly though lol but pro-life for me) but that article was poorly written and none were really 'myths' that I would consider in making a decision......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    I too also prefer the word termination a opposed to abortion. Abortion is such a nasty, harsh term, whereas termination has more of a clinical, detached feel about it IyKWIM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I too also prefer the word termination a opposed to abortion. Abortion is such a nasty, harsh term, whereas termination has more of a clinical, detached feel about it IyKWIM
    I agree. I think also 'abortion' makes me think of the late 1900's backyard sketchy abortions, where as termination makes me think of a clean, sterile medical facility (whether a hospital or a clinic) IYKWIM....

Also I was taught at uni that 'spontaneous abortion' is the correct medical term for a miscarriage but then not to use it in front of the woman because of the negative connotations etc.... Week 1, Year 1 - mind exploded lol.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (29-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only one I have come across that you have mentioned myself is #3 that it's a life. I never felt like the pregnancy I terminated was a life or a baby I just felt like it was invading my body and that I had no control over it, I wanted it out of me so I got it taken out. For me it was a huge weight lifted, I cried when I finally got an appointment from relief not sadness.

One you did not address that I also came across what that there are other options- adoption. There is this huge movement of well if you don't want a baby there is plenty of people who do so just give it to someone who does! Problem with this is that you still have to go through the trauma of an unwanted pregnancy and birth which can cause physical and psychological issues that are detrimental to the woman. Pregnancy also has a huge impact on the rest of the family. I guess I see this one as you can't be made to donate organs to someone elses benefit and you certainly can't be made to be a surrogate so why should we force women to carry unwanted pregnancies for someone else.