+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default NT / Amino Tests & Risks

I am writing to ask for everyone's feedback and own experiences as I have a decision to make regarding getting a amino / NT scan on my baby.

My first pregnancy was positive for T21 after a amino test - the 12 week blood test put me in a high risk 1 in 64.

For this pregnancy, I expected to be in the high risk again (because the first was positive for T21) but this time the 12 week blood test and ultrasound has given me a low risk 1 in 1680 chance.

I am torn between having a amino test (which carries a risk 1 in 100/200 of miscarriage) or leaving it to nature to do her best.

Has anyone been in a low risk and still had a T18 or T21 baby?

I dont want to give birth to a child that will need to suffer, but having the test may risk the life of a healthy baby. augh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for replying to my post. Personally with the risk you have been given I wouldn't have an amnio. I understand how anxiety provoking this must be to you. There is a simple blood test you can do that is not available in Aus yet, but you can have your blood sent over to the US for testing but it's expensive $2000 and takes about 2-3weeks to get the result. I will find out the name for you.

I was told Trisomy 21 is not Genetic, is just happens so the chances of it occurring again would be extremely rare.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kmvw For This Useful Post:

instabella  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The test is called the MaterniT21 plus test, I hope everything works out for you

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmvw For This Useful Post:

instabella  (02-10-2012),jellybeanicecream  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me, I wouldn't do an amnio if I had a 1/1600-odd chance of T21. We chose to do the amnio this time around as our risk was 1/50, so a greater chance of T21 than miscarriage, as I needed to know for sure. We had planned to continue regardless, but I wanted time to prepare if we had a positive result. You could always ask for a very detailed, and slightly earlier morph scan? It won't give you a definite, but will give you a heads up for any abnormalities.

Just quietly, I'm still terrified that they may have mixed up our amnio results with someone else's!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Moppet For This Useful Post:

instabella  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you everyone for your comments I just recieved a call from the hospital regarding that new blood test available so I am booked in for that - feel much relieved now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, does anyone know if you can have the MaterniT21 prenatal test (or the Harmony) in Melbourne?
    Thanks a lot.