+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default How does seeing a psychologist help?

Just wondering how seeing a psychologist has helped you? I have been seeing one for maybe 6 months or so. I'm just not sure how it's meant to be benefiting me? I've been given a diagnoses and been asked what i want the psych to do to help me. Is this normal? Shouldn't she being the psychologist have ideas and strategies in place to help?
    Do i just have a really crap psych? What do sessions usually entail? Mine just seems to talk a lot. I'm thinking i'm just wasting my time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, mine did alot of "self talk" work with me, because alot of people who suffer depression tend to also talk to themselves in a negative way working on this helps. She would give me homework to do, things like writing a journal, pick an activity on session that I would promise to do the following week (something just for me, to help boost my mood and give me some ME time).

Most psychs will ask you about how you're feeling, why do you think you feel that way and what do you think will help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Hmm.. Mine seems to do all the talking. She has spoken about breathing techniques to deal with anxiety which i'm already well aware as i have suffered from it my whole life.
    She diagnosed me with a post traumatic stress disorder, social phobia and depression. She said the best way to treat PTS is by basically talking about all the events that caused it but she is the only one that talks. I rarely get a word in.
    She hasn't really touched on anything else. I'm thinking it's a big waste of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't seen a psych myself, however i do have some experience. Psychologists are not all alike. Some do a lot of 'talking', delving into your past, your psyche, trying to explain why you are what you are. I find they aren't as helpful as your more practical psyches, ie the ones that practice CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). these are the ones who will give you strategies to improve your life going forwards, rather than always looking backward (to your past). It's all very well looking to your past to explain why you have the problems you do, but you want to get better for the future. Do you know what I mean?

Psyches who do CBT will give you practical things to do. For example, when I had patients with depression, we would talk about how there is a vicious cycle. You feel depressed, you don't want to do anything, so you sit around in the house alone, which in turn makes you feel more depressed. so we would set out a task list, the patient would have to force themselves to do say one thing per day that they 'used to' find fun. like we would agree that they would ring a friend and go out for coffee. Even if they really didn't want to. Or they would walk the dog. The patient would keep a diary and we would go through it when we next caught up.

If your psych isn't doing that sort of practical stuff, I would firstly be asking them if they do cognitive and/ or behavioural therapy, and if they don't I'd be finding a new psych.

CBT has been proven to be as effective as anti-depressants in mild depression so it definitely works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Hmm.. Mine seems to do all the talking. She has spoken about breathing techniques to deal with anxiety which i'm already well aware as i have suffered from it my whole life.
    She diagnosed me with a post traumatic stress disorder, social phobia and depression. She said the best way to treat PTS is by basically talking about all the events that caused it but she is the only one that talks. I rarely get a word in.
    She hasn't really touched on anything else. I'm thinking it's a big waste of time.
    Hmm, sounds like time to find a new more practical psych

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Find another psych now! I speak from experience. I went through 4 different psychs before I actually found one that didnt' talk about herself all the time! How annoying! Don't they realise that you're the one that's meant to do all the talking?

I finally found one that would only speak when she had a question to ask me. If she's talking about herself and her life she needs to go!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Find another psych now! I speak from experience. I went through 4 different psychs before I actually found one that didnt' talk about herself all the time! How annoying! Don't they realise that you're the one that's meant to do all the talking?

I finally found one that would only speak when she had a question to ask me. If she's talking about herself and her life she needs to go!
    It's funny that you mentioned that. She does actually talk about her life a lot and how tough it is.
    I think it's a waste of time going back too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's funny that you mentioned that. She does actually talk about her life a lot and how tough it is.
    I think it's a waste of time going back too.
    Oh my .. sounds like she needs a psych!

I actually ended up going with a counsellor after going through 3 different psychologists. I just found that she had much better coping techniques for me and she just seemed to hit the nail on the head every week which really opened my eyes to a lot of things that I was doing to self sabotage.

I feel it is a waste of time for you to go back to her but I do think you should continue your treatment elsewhere. Persist and you'll be glad you did. A great therapist is worth his/her weight in gold. Good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think after 6 months you should be getting something out of it. They should not be doing all the talking - often they will do a lot of questioning and probing of your answers to help you come to your own conclusions. They don't tell you what you should do they scaffold your thinking and feelings to assist you finding answers and should give you techniques to deal with situational anxiety etc...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It actually must only be 3-4 months as i've just used up my 6 free sessions and the appointments were 2-3 weeks apart usually. The psych has sent a letter to my GP requesting more appointments that's why i'm tossing up whether to go back or not now.
    I don't think i've got anything out of it. If anything my depression has reached new heights. Guess it might just be a case of her not being the right psych for me?