+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Becks23 is offline thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tenants applying for security door

Hi just wondering of anyone has applied for a security door for their rental and actually been approved?
    We live near a busy road where there have been bad accidents. We also do not have air con and summer gets very hot. Also safety reasons. Would these be enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've never had to do it but as an ex-renter i would say absolutely.
    and if it is knocked back, contact the renter's association. (maybe even contact them before you apply? just to get any tips!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd love to know the answer to this too, I live in a large 4 bedroom house and do not have a single security door, I hate it in summer as I can't open the front door to let air in and at night have to close all doors due to the cat. Add to that our fly screens don't go all the way to the top and it gets very stuffy in here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    You could ask the real estate/ owner but they aren't required to install them. Some times owners will listen and act on tenants requests though so it might be worth a shot?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As someone who used to work in real estate as a property officer I find it ridiculous that landlords are STILL actually renting out their homes with no screen doors! I would approach the agent if I were you and say you want a quick response as it is starting to get hotter and it's uncomfortable to have the door closed. If they have the audacity to say no, lodge a complaint with fair trading and let the agent know you have done so. You'll have your security door in no time! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fair trading? If a tenant decides to rent a property without screen doors, the landlord is under no obligation to install them after the fact.
    It depends entirely on whether your landlord has the spare cash or not - not all landlords are wealthy - but no harm in asking, right?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Fair trading? If a tenant decides to rent a property without screen doors, the landlord is under no obligation to install them after the fact.
    It depends entirely on whether your landlord has the spare cash or not - not all landlords are wealthy - but no harm in asking, right?
    Yes, fair trading. A close family friend of mine works for fair trading and they get these complaints all the time. They are usually directed to the tenancy tribunal but fair trading is a good place to start. The fact that the home is on a busy street with children in the house (so a safety concern) is enough to warrant a complaint. I worked in real estate property management for 5 years and we never had a landlord knock back a security door request. Then again, we were advising them to do it though ..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am both a tenant and a landlord so I see both sides. If my tenant asked for unnecessary upgrades to the house I wouldn't be able to afford them; and I'd be a bit p1ssed if they made a complaint against me to fair trading because of that.
    But on the other hand while renting it always sucked having to deal with shoddy house stuff.
    So... not sure about my point here. But for your sake OP I do hope your landlord can afford (and is willing) to install screen doors for you! After all, it will only improve property values.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also a landlord of various properties and I recently had one of our tenants ask for floorboards because the carpet was bad for his wife and child's asthma. I found this request to be crazy because they have been living there for the last 2 years and what, they only just realised there's carpet?! We offered to pay half but he wasn't happy with that so the carpet remains. That request I believe is unnessary but I wouldn't call a security door an unneccessary upgrade .. it is called security door for a reason especially on a main road but I do kinda see your point.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012),BornToBe  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i see no harm in asking for sure!
    we own a rental and it has screen doors, but we've recently built and our house doesnt have screen doors! i wish i had a landlord to hit up for the cash to put some in, the quote we have for the front and back doors (both double doors) is $2,500. so they aren't cheap, and depending on how much they are making out of the rental (for example the rent they receive may not even cover the mortgage payments) spending a couple of grand may not be an option.
    i've been looking at loads of new houses and none of them have screen doors, just decorative fancy front doors. its incredibly impractical really as summer sucks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Therippleeffect For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (28-09-2012)