+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Firstly if you want her to have veggie juice please make your own as V8 juice is full of salt! PLus it uses vegetable concentrates so they could contain any kind of additive plus the drink would probably have been heated which means its nutrients are no where near as good as fresh!

I would say her behaviour is due to her low blood sugar levels so she would need an afternoon snack - you can put veggies in smoothies! Try an afternoon smoothie with A2 milk, plain yogurt, strawberries, blueberries , ice and a handful of baby spinach leaves , once blended the blueberries keep it a purple colour so no hint of green!

Or would she eat carrot muffins ? Does she like dips? Raw veggies are sometimes easier to eat - capsicum/cucumber/carrot sticks and tzatiki?

I make veggie chips for my fussy nieces, just sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot or beetroot sliced paper thin with a veggie peeler, spray olive oil over and bake for 10 mins until you have chips!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (28-09-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (29-09-2012),onionskin  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    How frustrating for you!

If she is more receptive to eating in the morning, could you try giving her a cooked breakfast? Will she eat eggs? lots of good stuff in eggs... or homemade breakfast rissoles? Homemade hash browns?

You could just start with them plain, then gradually add small amounts of vegies etc.

Not only would she be getting more nutrients into her diet, but it would go a long way towards helping with her afternoon crashes I think.
    She doesn't like eggs, unless they are in a cake

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    If she happily eats breakfast and lunch why dont you give the same things for snacks and dinner?

I have given up trying to encourage DS1 to eat different foods so its the same ole stuff day in and day out but he loves it so I am not complaining. I was dreading mealtimes as we would always get so upset and I just dont want that anymore.

I am sure as he gets older and starts hanging out with friends more that he will try different things.

Like at school they made pizza in the kitchen....and he ate it! It was amazing.

To answer your question....the juice would be great as a snack but not a meal. But its really about whatever works for you.
    Honestly this is my dh's answer to the problem It would be so much easier but then her little brother would want toast or something and he is happy to eat his dinner and if not at least try it. I feel like it wouldn't be fair to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    Is she tired? If I try & feed my ds too late in the day he is dreadful. He often eats dinner at 5pm (he's nearly 6 years old).

My ds & vegies are not best friends either. I'm trying everything. He will eat mushrooms and tomatoes some times and he's getting a bit better at eating some potato. I'm going to start our vegie patch soon and hopefully that will help in the coming months.
    DD has her dinner at 4.45pm if not it is just impossible, if she tries her dinner, which is a big 'if' then I will make her something like yoghurt or a vegemite sanga a little later but this has now stopped and I guess while I don't give her the extras I worry she is getting NO nutrients, and I am sure her behaviour issues are related to her food refusal.

As for is she tired, yes but doesn't ever sit still, she becomes over tired and over stimulated which in turn makes it even harder at tea time. argh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Has she got any rashes or dark circles under her eyes?

What are her bowel movements like?

Does she have trouble 'settling'? either for an activity or for sleep at night?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Firstly if you want her to have veggie juice please make your own as V8 juice is full of salt! PLus it uses vegetable concentrates so they could contain any kind of additive plus the drink would probably have been heated which means its nutrients are no where near as good as fresh!

I would say her behaviour is due to her low blood sugar levels so she would need an afternoon snack - you can put veggies in smoothies! Try an afternoon smoothie with A2 milk, plain yogurt, strawberries, blueberries , ice and a handful of baby spinach leaves , once blended the blueberries keep it a purple colour so no hint of green!

Or would she eat carrot muffins ? Does she like dips? Raw veggies are sometimes easier to eat - capsicum/cucumber/carrot sticks and tzatiki?

I make veggie chips for my fussy nieces, just sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot or beetroot sliced paper thin with a veggie peeler, spray olive oil over and bake for 10 mins until you have chips!
    I never even thought about salt, thank you for that.

I don't have a juicer, but maybe if she likes it and could help, it would be worth it for her.

She also doesn't like milk or cheese but will happily eat yoghurt. I could try a yoghurt smoothie. Blueberries are her favourite so a little hidden veg might just work. Brilliant idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone, I really appreciate all the ideas.

I am going to start fresh tomorrow, leave her be today. After last night.

So my plan is she can have a popper of V8 as a treat instead of crap. Occasionally. We have a heaps of citrus trees with fruit so am going to get a juicer and start making my own juice with veg.

I will try raw veg to eat, but I am doubtful.

I will also try some healthy savoury muffins, she can help me cook them.

I miss my little girl who would eat anything and everything, she was such a good eater as a toddler. Ah well onward and upwards. It can't get any worse surely. Right?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to onionskin For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When she isn't around to see you in your blender grind up almonds/pepita seeds/sunflower seeds/sesame seeds/chia seeds and then add that powder to her smoothies. She won't notice it but will help her get some more nutrients.
    You can't notice carrots in smoothies either. We put one in ours everyday along with a ton of baby spinach leaves.
    Also, I had a really fussy 2 year old and I was not prepared to just feed her what she wanted because she wasn't getting enough nutrients. We saw a paed dietician and after 6 months of working with her she was a very different child and 4 years later she ia still my best eater. I think accomodating their fussiness when they don't have a healthy diet is crap personally. Genuine dislikes to food is fine, but disliking all bar a few foods is not (unless they have SN which makes it a different kettle of fish altogether) and I wasn't prepared to put up with it long term and I'm so glad I didn't.
    One last thing..get her on to a multivitamin or iron supplement. Iron deficiency changes their taste buds and makes foods taste different. DD was just below normal range when her irn levels were checked.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (29-09-2012),onionskin  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really have much advice, but thought I would let you know about 'veggie smugglers'.
    They have a heap of recipes to help smuggle vegetables into tasty dishes for kids and adults.
    Might help a bit?
    Good luck

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (02-10-2012),onionskin  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with making your own juices, they are much healthier than store bought ones and the kids are more inclined to drink it if they've made it themselves. I put carrot in most fruit juices because carrot juice is quite sweet and the flavour blends in really well with the fruit juice. I've tried bits of other vegies in the juices but they are too strong flavoured and my kids don't like it.

I just really wanted to say that as hard as it is, for your sake you need to stop stressing at dinner time. It really makes all the difference. My DS1 was/is really fussy and I would get so worked up and upset about it and try and force him to eat etc etc, it was an absolute nightmare and I would end up in tears and so would he. Then I realised that I just can't fight anymore, so I didn't. At dinnertime I would and still do offer a plate of what I cooked for dinner, a small piece of every vegie and everything else that was on offer that night. It goes down infront of them, they are not to make rude comments about it being gross or yucky. I ignore any talk of eating/not eating and eat my dinner and will chat only about non dinner related topics. Then I clean up. If they don't eat, that's fine, they don't get anything else, I don't make any comments besides "ok put your plate in the kitchen" and then they just go and get ready for bed. I made a progression from sitting the plate infront of them, to picking up each food and taking a lick, to picking up each food and taking a tiny tiny nibble. Sometimes getting my youngest to take a nibble is abit stressful but because I did it sooooo gradually he just knows now that he has to try everything and to just hush up and do it.

It's so much less stressful to just not care about what they're eating/not eating for dinner. Especially in your case too where she eats well in the mornings, it's not like she's going to be malnourished.

Good luck, as I said I know it's hard to not stress but it is SO much more enjoyable once you learn to just let it slide!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (28-09-2012),onionskin  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    it also pays to remember that many cultures (that are a lot healthier ) don't eat 3 big meals a day, nor the biggest meal at night.
    perhaps turn the day upside down?
    when in thailand we have soup or chicken rice for breakfast, a few snacks throughout the day (sticks, corn, mangoes) or a light 'lunch' which can happen at any time really. dinner is usually a snack of some sort.

when my son started getting fussy i tended to choose healthier alternatives. personally i think continuous fighting over food with kids tends to make the problem worse - it reinforces negative attention, everyone goes to bed unhappy and as long as they aren't living on a diet of chips, cake and coke then sometimes it's a case of just picking your battles.

my son used to eat everything as a baby, then got fussy around 2yo. he always ate the odd things - duck, sticky rice, red pork etc. but refuses to still eat a hamburger (now 10yo). over the last year he has finally started eating a much bigger range of things - i think their taste buds just mature.
    i read that around toddler stage their taste buds become hypersensitive and they are genetically programmed to be reluctant to eat 'new' things. apparently a hangover from evolution as around this time, the mother would have had another baby and be busy. it was a survival mechanism of nature to stop the naturally curious toddler from eating things that may be poisonous etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    Has she got any rashes or dark circles under her eyes?

What are her bowel movements like?

Does she have trouble 'settling'? either for an activity or for sleep at night?
    No dark circles under her eyes or rashes. She does have trouble settling at night sometimes with tossing and turning and such.

Settling for activities, well if it's what she wants to do no problem, if not she is impossible generally. More so lately, because the battle has been worse so her natural stubbornness sets in with 'most' things. Hence wanting to start tackling her diet and meal times differently.

I do agree with all who have said that the battle is the problem, not the food as such. I used to be much more relaxed, but things eased back to being ridiculous. Now dinner time is just awful. She is also hiding food and putting it on her brothers plate as soon as you turn your back for anything. This behaviour is new, she then swears blind she didn't do it, and she did eat her dinner