+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's only important if they ask or if it was something that could also affect their fertility later on. All that ivf would say to me is that my parents were so desperate for a baby to love that they were willing to do whatever it took!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 2.5 and the ivf book is her favourite book! Because she thinks it was written specifically for her! I think the books are a great starting point to ease it into conversation and can be discussed in depth (the medical process) as they get older and more interested.

Dj nette - our book doesn't go into donor sorry. It also doesn't assume the issue is female which I think is also good because for us it's male factor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I posted this ages ago, but now that I have my beautiful little girl here, im incredibly proud of going through IVF to conceive her. It shows that she was a very wanted baby. I agree with you BettyW, my husband was an accident, and has always felt like a black sheep of the family. I also had a pregnancy journal created by a local photographer which is basically my diary entries and has photos of my pregnancy, so there is a lot in the journal entries about the IVF process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will definitely tell my children about it, tailoring my explanation depending on their age. I think conception is a miracle and IVF even more so with the odds often not in our favour- definitely something to be proud of and celebrated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the same posistion as you both Sariel and DJ Nette. We used a donor egg for our DD2 (due to a genetic condition - we my first 2 babies were born very sick) but still took us 5 transfers to get her. She is 5 now and we started talking to her when she was around 3. Just little uncomplicated things like when we visit our donor (my very good friend) we talk about how she helped DD to become a baby in mummys tummy. We also generally talk about how people can 'share' their eggs to help other mummies that dont have healthy eggs. She is so cute when we talk about this as she says that she is going to share her eggs when she is older. Awwwwww . I have a book that you may like to read. It is called "Sometimes it takes three to make a baby". It is actually about egg donor but I am sure you can get one that is about sperm donor too. I got mine mailed to me from Melbourne IVF Ph (o3) 9473 4444. This was about 5 years ago so I hope this is the same ph number? This book has a story about the donor and then a part where to child can draw or write their own story (and stick photos etc). Its quite interactive.
    I actually also have the complication of conceiving DD3 naturally and she was born healthy. So when both girls are older I am sure there will be questions about why IVF and a donor wasnt used for her and the whole thing about DD3 being a biological child and DD2 not. I hope it is not an issue - I love them both more than anything in the universe........ Anyone know about a book dealing with this? LOL

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I will probably tell bub when older as I don't think they need to know when younger. Thinking maybe when in 20s or closer to marriage ect

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm very proud of where DS came from, modern medicine is amazing & should be celebrated when it comes to IVF! We plan on telling DS through a book when he's old enough for us to read him books (only 12wks now) I would hate for him to find out by accident and think its a bad thing cause its 'different', kids don't like to feel different so I think is important it comes from us & we tell him what a miracle he is & he understands as much as he can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For donor offspring there are a few books, the one I've read is The Pea That Was Me, you can get it for Egg or Sperm donor. It's fairly basic and I think it suggests children for 3 + will sort of understand, as much as any toddler does.