+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default The dreaded word 'abnormality' at morph scan

I spent most of the day in tears yesterday, after being told our little girl will be born with a club foot.

As things go, I'm thankful it wasn't a life threatening issue, or somehing that will require extensive risky surgery, but the fact my baby will be born already being dealt a crappy start in life is harder then I ever imagined.

Still getting my head around it and what it all means, the ob's spoke to us and said for he pregnancy nothing changes, but once the baby is born neo-natel will talk to us and asses her and then the physios and orthopedic surgeons will as well. I hate not knowing exactly how it will be treated, I hate not having all the info

No point to this post really, I'm having trouble taking to dh about it, when ever I get upset he tells me at least she won't die from this, but I'm still so so sad and anxious about the long road ahead

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of hugs. It can't be easy to hear that something's not quite right with your bubba. It's ok to be upset. Hopefully someone on here who has been through the same thing can give you some good advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A very good friend of mine has a club foot. I knew him for about a year when he told me. Funny thing was me (and our other friends) never knew. He wore thongs, sandles, runners, etc. We went to the beach and he walked around barefoot, he would run and used to play cricket, etc and we never ever noticed and it never ever affected him in any way.

When he told is we were like 'yeah sure' until we actually looked. But it never affected him and we just forgot about it. It was never a big deal. I only remember if something like this comes along.

I guess I just wanted to say that it will be ok. I know it must be very hard now but hopefully you can speak with some surgeons or someone and work out what will happen? Do you think that may alleviate some of your anxiety?

I know your DH says at least bubs wont die but everyone wants their babies to be perfect so its ok to feel sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When you are ready to look for information, check out http://www.aussieclubfootkids.org/

There is a lot of variety in the severity of the condition, and different treatments needed (if any). i have talipes in my family and looked into current treatments for if they were required. The Ponseti method has the best long term results, so i would travel to a clinic that used this method if it is needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just wanted to offer some of these

Yes, it's true that the condition is not life threatening, but it would still be a big shock. I don't think there are many of us who go for a scan expecting something to be wrong, so it's a lot to take in.

One advantage of having this information before your bub is born is that you can prepare and research the condition so you can help your child as much as possible.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I also have a very good friend with club foot, and you would never, ever know. She wears high heels and can party all night, she wears sandals and thongs, she runs, jumps, skips and hops

It may not be what you had in mind when you envisioned your baby, but she will still be your precious daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Know that your baby is very blessed to have a mum like you who will love her no matter what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At my 20 week scan we also received bad news, not a club foot but our bub has heart defects.
    I was so upset and it took weeks to mull things over in my head and get my brain around it. I figured knowledge is power so I researched and researched. So that when I met with doctors I knew what to expect and what I wanted to ask.
    Your DH is going through a process of his own, and you know men hate to talk. But maybe at the right moment you can sit him down and gently talk through your emotions with him. I'm sure you feel some of the same things I did/do... Like some of the pregnancy joy is gone and replaced with fear and anxiety.
    I also started a journal to our baby. Just one way I tried to focus on positive things rather than the medical stuff surrounding our pregnancy. I'm 30 weeks now... So only ten weeks ago we got our news so it's pretty fresh. I know it's not the same thing but I had to write and say hugs to you... I know some of how you are feeling. Hugs hugs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-09-2012),LoveLivesHere  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone for your kind words have read a little bit and I'm thankful that it appears to be very treatable and since finding alot of my family members have said oh you know so and so? They had that! My grandma was able to list 7 family friends! So definatly reassuring to know things like sport and high heels are in her future

It's just hard to take it all in...

Tamtam- I hope everything goes smoothly for you and your bubs xo