+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you continue nipple stim if it causes strong contractions?

Hello, 39 + 3 weeks pregnant here. I know that my baby will come when ready, and I would not do anything to put him at risk hence asking this question. I tried nipple stimulation this afternoon just to see what it did, and holy cow it gave me a strong painful contraction that seemed to last at least a whole minute if not 2 even when I stopped! I have basically read mixed opinions on the safety of nipple stimulation, some say don't be ridiculous its very safe and recommended by midwives and OB's, others saybe very cautious as can cause strong contractions which cause distress to the baby. So now I'm scared to do it again in case it causes bub distress, but my friends say they all did it and it's fine and I should keep doing it as it obviously works for me! Lol I think I'll probably just wait for him to come naturally as i freaked myself out waiting to feel him move after I did it, but I'm just curious whether other people would continue to do it? Thanks

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    To be honest I probably wouldn't at 39+3. I wouldn't be looking at any form of induction until much closer to 42 weeks if the pregnancy was going well. My midwife group did say that nipple stimulation or expressing to bring labour on was associated with 'negative outcomes' so whilst many woman may have had success with it, if there is a teeny-tiny number that hasn't so I wouldn't try it.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I probably wouldnt bother unless I had a medical need to want baby out earlier, if I did it would be my first step along with DTD as they both produce the same hormone your body does in labour but with spontaneous labour the signal comes from the baby anything before that risks a premature baby which is not something I would be keen to encourage.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bec, it's nice to hear someone else rabbiting on about this sort of stuff

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (27-09-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    I probably wouldnt bother unless I had a medical need to want baby out earlier, if I did it would be my first step along with DTD as they both produce the same hormone your body does in labour but with spontaneous labour the signal comes from the baby anything before that risks a premature baby which is not something I would be keen to encourage.
    Doesn't semen also soften the cervix?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Doesn't semen also soften the cervix?
    Yeah that too semen contains proglastins which does the rippening job, which is what they use to ripen your cervix for induction..they use to use horse semen now they use synthetic! An old bubhubber linked to a study once saying that ingesting it works better