+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default anyone a swim instructor for babies?

Can u tell me what you did to get the job? Study and where etc

Im interested in starting this and maybe quitting my current career to do it.
    What is the pay? I think its low but as long as it makes me happy as current job is just *****y and gossipy just want to work on my own and swim teacher looks like good fun too..

So please tell me about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive wondered about this too as my leisure centre has a creche for my youngest and they do baby swim lessons and then kids swim lesson but not the standard levels. I dont know if what i pay for swim lessons effects the pay for the teachers but i pay roughly $75 and then an extra $3.50 for pool entry if the child is over 5 (and luckily my 2 arent yet but oldest is). Looking forward to the replies also

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to be a swim instructor when I was at uni- it was both the best and worst job I ever had, depending on what classes I had! Paywise, it was okay... not great. Its hard to remember exactly because I was casual and my hours varied alot (as they do for uni jobs)... it was a couple of hundred a week. I got by. From memory it was an hourly rate for me- something like $25/hr, and this was in the early 2000s.

Pros:
    Obviously, working with kids was fabulous- I absolutely adored some of those classes
    Lost a ton of weight from being in the water all day

Cons:
    Difficult kids who were terrified of the water
    Being sick constantly from being exposed to kids all day (apparently this is super common for anyone working with kids at first)
    Being cold when the weather was bad
    Never being able to take a sick day because we didn't have any backup staff
    Working Saturday mornings

As for training, you need to do an Austswim course (or equivalent)
    http://www.austswim.com.au/Training/...formation.aspx

Hope that helps!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: anyone a swim instructor for babies?

Thank you! I just saw you had replied
    That's a great help thanks. Only problem is it will be a huge drop in pay. Its hard to work out if its worth that to be home more or ear more money for the future but be home for ds less..