+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Small uterus for 17 Weeks

Hi all.

Not hugely concerned, however by posting this, I am the first to post in this section.. WOOT!! Lol..

So anyhow. I saw my OB yesterday (well, it's a public OB, but I have got the same guy twice in a row!) and he made a comment that my uterus is measuring smaller then it should be.

He then say 'but I am not worried. You had your scan and baby's fine'.

I was reassured by what he said and did not worry about it. But later I sort of went 'well hey, what does that actually mean?'

This is my first pregnancy, and I am not showing yet. I am not sure if I have felt movement yet, but certainly no kicks or anything.

So, do any of you have an idea as to what a 'small uterus' could mean/cause?

Pic at 17 + 1

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry. Is this your first? With my first i did not 'pop' until quite late in the pregnancy, it was purely because i had very strong stomach muscles which held everything back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't worry either. I'm a size 10 and didn't look obviously pregnant with #1 (instead of just a bit pudgy) until nearly 30 weeks (like mothersmilk, had pretty good tummy muscles back then!).

At around that time I switched care providers and they noticed my fundal height (what your ob would have measured) was about 6cm behind. They sent me for growth scans as a precaution, but bub was perfectly fine. I also didn't feel any movements until about 17/18 weeks and that was just flutters.

Your fundal height is meant to be equivalent to how many weeks you are along, but lots of things can affect that measurement - how bub is positioned, the way different people measure, they way you carry etc.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 27-09-2012 at 13:12.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

wildoats  (01-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I had an appointment with my Obst last week and I was 18w4d but my uterus was measuring 21 weeks. I was kind of the same, told that it's not a problem at this point, but still I was like well what does it mean???

He basically told me that over time, the uterus might slow down, that the last couple of weeks might just have been a bit of a speedy growth spurt, and someone else has also said that it might mean that baby is big...

I don't think it's something to worry about this early in the piece, from the sounds of things, if it doesn't slow down, or for you, catch up, then we might be told a bit more about any issues, if any!

Hope that all makes sense!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin859 For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (06-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Behind or ahead fundal height is often associated with a small or large baby, but it's not necessarily a good indicator of bubs size. At 40 weeks my fundal height was 34cm. DS was born 8 days later a healthy and pretty average 7lb, certainly not the size of a 34/35 weeker! Lots of factors can put your FH ahead/ behind the ideal, and not all bubs are going to grow at the same rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post
    Hi all.

Not hugely concerned, however by posting this, I am the first to post in this section.. WOOT!! Lol..

So anyhow. I saw my OB yesterday (well, it's a public OB, but I have got the same guy twice in a row!) and he made a comment that my uterus is measuring smaller then it should be.

He then say 'but I am not worried. You had your scan and baby's fine'.

I was reassured by what he said and did not worry about it. But later I sort of went 'well hey, what does that actually mean?'

This is my first pregnancy, and I am not showing yet. I am not sure if I have felt movement yet, but certainly no kicks or anything.

So, do any of you have an idea as to what a 'small uterus' could mean/cause?

Pic at 17 + 1

I dont even know why ur OB made such a comment to you if he wasnt worried!! of course ur gonna come home and think the worst!
    I was 6mths pregnant before i actually "looked pregnant"
    I think you look great! cute bump happening there too!
    Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't worry. Everyone is different. I started showing at 2 months pregnant and I'm now 18 weeks and I look like I'm six months. All my friends said I showed too early but my ob reassured me that everything was fine

Thanks
    Reviews

I had another OB appointment on Friday. I am 23 weeks and uterus is at 29 weeks. Once again he said its no issue at this point... Strange though...