+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Femur measurement fallen back

hi ladies, Hoping somebody can offer their own experience, I've been a mess since yesterday. I had a 35 week ultrasound to check on bubs. According to ultrasound tech and ob, baby is well. However I noticed the femur measurement has dropped back since last ultrasound a few weeks back. Bubs has always been measuring well ahead...80% for head, tummy and weight and femur always well above 50%..but now it's dropped back to 15%. I did bring it up with my ob and he said nothing to worry about....but I can't help but worry. I'm only 5ft and hubby us 5"8 so we are not the tallest of peoPle!

Anyone else had shorter femur measurement and what was your outcome?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your ob and the tech weren't concerned try not to worry. I don't have the paperwork to check exact figures, but I had to have 3 or 4 growth scans torwards the end of my preg with DS. His femurs were always measuring a few days behind the rest of him (I think on one scan it was nearly up to a week). He was born perfect and is now a perfect nearly 2 year old.

The further along you get the less accurate scans can be. It relies heavily on the tech being able to get accurate measurements, which they take a few of then average out. There isn't alot of room in there for bub at 35 weeks, so it can be hard to get accurate measurements, and even a mm or two out can make a big difference.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 27-09-2012 at 10:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply decemberbubba! Glad your little boy was fine. I'm trying not to worry but you know how it is. I have heard that a few mm can throw results out and maybe bubs is just shorter. I googled which I probably should not have done. Dwarfism and downs came up which got me worried. Bubs has been checked that many times so I guess if something was up tbey would of seen something by now. Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Tinkers,

At my 34 week growth scan my babies femur was measuring short (I think it was 9%!) , and the rest of him large, his head quite big. I googled it and all I could come up with was Downs Syndrome or Dwarfism, and i freaked out (had the scan on a friday and the OB didn't review till Monday) ALL weekend. Anyway, the OB looked at it and didn't even mention it just said that everything was fine and i didn't need another scan. Im sure if there was a problem they would have said something Google is my worst nightmare sometimes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    BoxerDogLover! Thanks for your reply. Google is what has sent me into this worry freak. Dwarfism and downs is what pops up on google, though most cases bubs is fine. My ob was the same, said everything was fine, though I'm still feeling sick about it all, kinda wish I never saw the report. Glad all is well with you, you must be ready to push bubs out now?? I saw your name in the October due date thread.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Trust me I was sitting at the computer crying for over an hour while googling it so i know how you feel lol now I think that considering all my other tests have been perfect and the doctor wasn't worried then I'm sure it will be fine! I have 4 days left till I'm due! Counting down the days hope you feel better about it though maybe ring your doctor and chat to them about it if it continues to worry you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    4 days to go....how exciting! Best wishes for a safe arrival. Thanks for the advice, has helped me. I think I may call my ob though, a few more days worrying like this and I will be bald! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Read and had to reply.
    If they aren't worried don't be! If there was a problem with the long bones it most likely would have been flagged very early on... Like at 20 weeks or so. Also there are other markers for dwarfism and downs.
    I know because my bub has been measuring behind since 20 weeks on long bones like femur but the doctors have mentioned these concerns to us. Trust me... I think the doctors would say something if they were concerned!
    It's so hard not to worry. I hope all is fine for you but I understand the googling and the stress all too well. I'm also short etc so I think it's just genetics! Good luck.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

SpicyTurtle  (27-09-2012),Tinkers  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys. One other thing to remember is that the sonographer is trying to get a measurement of a 3 dimensional bone on a 2 dimensional scan. Sometimes if the leg isn't exactly in the same plane as the ultrasound head (for example it is running slightly from your front to back) then it can appear short even if it isn't. If there is an earlier scan that has the femur measuring within a reasonable range then it is very very unlikely that it has become short now but quite likely that there was a bit of measurement error. Stay confident, chin up and stop googling! Now I just need to listen to my own advice! Good luck ladies.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oops For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (14-01-2013),Tinkers  (02-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my DD I had a scan around 35 weeks and the sonographer said all looked good but the femur was measuring short relative to all the other measurements but said not to be too worried and the paed would check it out once she was born. And I honestly didn't worry because I'm only 155cm and hubby is not exactly tall. Also DH's build is definitely a longer torso on more stocky legs. And my mum always said how she got comments on my sister's relatively short legs but she was perfectly fine. I was pretty sure it was just the unfortunate short genes we've passed on to her.

The paed did check it out when she was born but didn't rush over. He'd asked the nursing staff if I was worried/anxious about it but when they said I wasn't he took his time. And when he looked her over he confirmed all was fine - "she won't be tall but she's definietly not got dwarfism". DD will be 3 next month and is very very petite but also perfectly healthy.

Try not to worry. And stop googling!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat13 For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (02-10-2012)