+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! 5.5 month old still so unsettled :(

Hi everyone,
    I am just looking for a bit of support or advice. My 5.5 month old daughter is still so unsettled for much of the day. She has 3-4 45 minute naps a day, and each time is a battle to get her to sleep. She is up for about an hour at a time before getting really grizzly and unhappy. I figure she is then ready for a sleep so I rock her and bounce her and sing to her and shh her. It takes me on average 25 minutes to get her to sleep. This includes about 3-5 tries of putting her in her cot before she will stay asleep when I put her down. She is exclusively breastfed, with about 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon of solids each evening (banana/pumpkin/pear). She feeds every hour pretty much. I have tried feeding her when she first wakes and then settling her to sleep without a feed an hour later but she screams until I feed her again. Some days she is up for 3 hours between sleeps because she wont settle to go to sleep. She just cries and cries and rocking her doesnt always help. I have tried putting her to sleep in her cot but she just cries. I have tried remedies for reflux, I have taken her to the chiro, I have tried dummies, I have tried laying with her, I have tried everything! I cant let her cry it out because she never settles herself, she just cries more and gets more upset. Please help me! I thought by this age she would have settled a bit but she hasnt She just seems so unhappy for much of the day, and I am really struggling every day I feel so sad for her because I just want to be able to make her happy. Does anyone have any ideas of things I maybe havent tried?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My advice? Call a sleep school, there is at least one in every state I'm pretty sure. IME fixing DDs sleeping helped us out immeasurably. She wasn't feeding she wasn't sleeping and she was much like your DD ALL day, screaming, grizzling, fussing. 3 x 45 minute naps isn't a lot for a 5mo.
    If you aren't near a sleep school they still give plenty of advice over the phone and will try to help you out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When you say you've tried reflux remedies, what have you tried exactly? If your baby has reflux or silent reflux, over the counter remedies won't work for your baby. You can get a prescription for something called Losec which stops the production of acid in the stomach to make feeding more comfortable for your baby.

Another thing that springs to mind is that maybe she's hungry. Though some people don't start their babies on solids until 6 months at 5.5 months 1/4 - 1/2 tea spoon is a very small amount.

My DD has silent reflux and is on medication for it but I found with her, her catnapping was due to hunger. I had tried for so long the feed, play, sleep routine and it just didn't work for her. If I fed her when she woke in the morning she'd only take 40mls (if I was lucky) and then I'd put her down to bed after 1.5 hours or 2 hours (depending on how old she was at the time) and it was also taking a long time to get her to settle. Then I realised she probably was crying as she was hungry but would just give in and fall asleep when I was sitting with her.

Reflux babies tend to only drink small amounts more often, so it sounds like your bubby could have reflux. Does she arch her back after feeds? Pulling off the breast during feeds?

Or as TnA states above, you may benefit from some sleep training if you can rule out all medical causes for her unsettledness. This is what worries me about sleep training though. So many parents think their babies are just difficult to settle or they are doing the wrong thing to get them to settle, when in fact much of the time it could be because the baby is uncomfortable, in pain or unwell and by either leaving them to cry (doing CC or Cry it out) or by rocking them to sleep in your arms and forcing them to sleep when it's not just sleep they need, we can overlook a potential medical issue.

If I was you, I would take her to the GP to rule out any illness etc first of all. Try and find a doctor who is good with babies. When I took my DD to the doctor for what turned out to be silent reflux, I was told she'd grow out of it and to just put up with it, but luckily I demanded a referral to a paediatrician who ended up diagnosing silent reflux and put us on to the right meds and she was a different baby. So I'd try both options if I were you before starting any sleep training.

Good luck! I hope you get some help for your bubby soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried chamomile tea, infant gaviscon, gripe water, tilting her bed, holding her upright after feeds. I have taken her to the chiro too. I have been speaking with someone from Tresillian but they are not much help, basically just saying I need to feed her less and let her go to sleep in her bed. If it was that easy, I would already be doing that!!
    I have been considering calling the Paediatrician who looked after her at birth and making an appointment. Maybe I will. I feel like I have exhausted all the alternatives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah definitely see a paed to rule out anything medical. If it is silent reflux, the remedies you have tried wont work at that age, she would need a prescription medicine if it turns out that is what it is.

Maybe also try a baby probiotic in the mean time.

Let us know how you go!