+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Bfing/AF/The Pill - what should I do?

My dd is 12 months old in a few days and I'm considering weaning her. I'm finding that my milk supply drops for a few days before AF arrives (making both of us irritable!) and also for a day or so around ovulation. I'm also getting terrible PMS - migraines, extreme tiredness, annoying moodiness and that is now affecting me for about 10 days a month.

It's not helping that my dd still isn't reliably sleeping through the night (I got a grand total of 5 hours sleep last night for example) and I'm also working part time.

Has anyone else weaned due to PMS and wanting to go back on The Pill? I have been on Levlen for many years to help deal with my terrible PMS issues and it works well. I spoke to the M&CHN yesterday and she said going back on The Pill may or may not affect my supply at this late stage and even if it does it might mean I can slowly wean over a few weeks which might be gentler for both me & my dd.

My goal with BFing was 12 months. I do enjoy BFing my dd and some days I think I could BF for a long time and other times I wish I was no longer BFing. She's my last bub (planned anyway!) so there's that emotional side of things too.

Any thoughts welcome. Surely I'm not the only one who has been in this situation.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about the mini pill which is safe while breastfeeding?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

mim1  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks!

The minipill is likely to make my symptoms worse unfortunately, I need to go on the usual oral contraceptive pill. I've got an appointment with my GP next week and we'll discuss it then. I will miss the one on one time with her, but I do have to stop BFing at some point and I'm only working part time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to this thread, I can't wait to get back on to oestragen contraception, my moods are crazy and the drop in supply before AF explains why bub was so fussy last week and of course I was in a bad mood too.