+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default exercise whilst pregnant

Hi ladies,

I have just recently found out that i was pregnant and was wondering if any of you had any advice on exercising and/or weightloss during pregnancy? i am 79kg but because i am only 160cm tall that puts me in the obese BMI range and i'm worried i'll have problems or that i will be classed as "high risk" because of my bmi.

For the past nearly 2 months i have been going to the gym 5 - 6 times a week and have lost around 6kg. i'd like to continue going to the gym as i really enjoy it, but i'm not sure what is safe for me to do or not do. i'll be seeing my trainer next week and i'm going to ask him then, but in the meantime i'd like to still be going but not over doing it.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

moppet  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly congrats on your exciting news.

If you have already been exercising you are fine to continue. You do however have to be careful in the first trimester about body temp getting too high and heart rate getting too high.

I was still doing step class in the early days and just made sure I took the easy option and went under a fan. Unfortunately I had to stop because I was too tired and sick and then just never went back when I started feeling better.

I however continued to train with my trainer doing weights up until about three weeks ago and I am now 35 weeks.

Congrats again, and I hope you have an uneventful low risk pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to the gym twice a week, I'm 17 weeks now.

I had a chat with one of the instructors and changed my plan the other day. I've cut back on RPM cause I just get too hot, and the big thing is to keep yourself cool and not let your heart rate get too high.

I focus more on weights/strength and gentle cycling now. They said step classes was a great idea, but I hate that class, haha.

I'd just have a chat with them, let them know about your pregnancy and they'll help you design a new workout to suit you.

Congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks so much ladies I thought I would be okay to continue just wanted to make sure! I always exercise near thefand anyway haha. I have noticed the exhaustion setting in this week and I'm starting to wonder how often I'll actually make it to the gym lol