+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15

Default Hair

Just a few questions about hair that popped into my head as I was (Surprise, surprise!) washing my hair this morning!

1. Did you hair thin out or change anyway after you had children?

Reason I ask is that before I had the boys, my hair was very thick- as in, I had LOTS of it. I knew it may lose it's curl, as that is what happened to my Mum (and it did). What I didn't realise is that it would thin a LOT. Bear in mind my boys are just about to turn 4, so I think it's been a gradual thing- but I've always put it down to hairdressers and haircuts- they always attack me with the thinning scissors. But I haven't had my hair done in a long time, and it's still really thin?

2. What do you do with your hair every day? Especially if it's long? (Mine touches the small of my back)

3. What type of cut would you recommend for me- my hair can be a bit frizzy anf fly-away, especially around my face. The curl is not really pronounced any more- it's enough to be considered wavy I guess, but it's definitely not a curl. I usually wear it up all the time anyway, but I want something that doesn't look too "mumsy" (I'm about to turn 29 in a few days eek- I think I'm afraid of looking 'old')

4. If you have hair that sounds like mine, what do you ask the hairdresser to do? I always just say I have no idea, do what you want- hence the thinning scissors in the past!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've recently had a terrible experience at the hairdresser - I actually called up the next day to complain (I'm normally for too nervous to do something like this). But once I copped a glance in the mirror and realised what a shocking job had been done I had to call.

I have thick hair too, wavy not curly. Since pregnancy it hasn;t thinned but has definitely lost it's lustre.

After my recent experience I have vowed to never let anyone near my hair with thinning scissors for couple of reasons:

- they make my hair look ratty
    - when my hair grows out, the thinned hair underneath boufs out and I look like an 80's rock god

Thinning scissors for me are a vicious cycle -I have to keep getting my hair thinned to stop the bouf. So now I wear my hair up all the time. Next time I get a cut it will be to trim all over and then to a super stylist to cut long, classic layers - nothing too trendy for me, I'm too old for it and can't and don't want to try to pull it off anymore.

Doesn't really help with your q but I feel better for venting

Just realised you said your hair is quite long, I'd be going simple layers, easy to maintain and get re-cut and no thinning scissors - but that's just because of my own experiences...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have a lot of hair, it has always been very thick pre and post babies. The way my hair changed after kids is it went from naturally very straight to wavy.

My hair is the same length as yours and i just tie it back every day, it is just too thick and wavy to wear down and needs a haircut/thinning out (i never know what to get done with it at the hairdressers...). If i'm being 'fancy' i will plait or braid it in various ways but mostly just a ponytail *boring*

No idea, sorry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also use headbands to keep fly aways out of my face...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    My hair didn't change at all. It's always been really thick and the hairdresser still gets out the thinning scissors each cut.

I think we may have similar hair? Mine isn't curly but does have a wave to it. In it's natural state it just looks messy.

Personally i'm not a fan of long hair. I just can't stand the way it sits on my neck, the way it feels so heavy and hot. I usually get a concave bob (long at the front, short at the back) when i get it cut. Then i quickly straighten it each morning to get rid of the wave/messy look.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Harvest Moon, how long would you say you spend washing, drying and straightening your hair?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    My hair didn't change at all. It's always been really thick and the hairdresser still gets out the thinning scissors each cut.

I think we may have similar hair? Mine isn't curly but does have a wave to it. In it's natural state it just looks messy.

Personally i'm not a fan of long hair. I just can't stand the way it sits on my neck, the way it feels so heavy and hot. I usually get a concave bob (long at the front, short at the back) when i get it cut. Then i quickly straighten it each morning to get rid of the wave/messy look.
    I think we have the same hair....and the same cut although I don't straighten mine, i'm embracing the messy look

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Well i wash my hair every morning otherwise it goes really oily. Drying and straightening only takes a few minutes each. The back is that short that it doesn't need to be/can't really be straightened. Because the front has been thinned out it quite literally takes no more then a few minutes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Haha, I wish I could embrace the messy look.. I try.. and I just look trashy!

Which the irony is, I spend a lot of money on my hair- I only buy salon quality stuff, and I have A LOT of stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also Harvest Moon, do you have the bob thinned out? I asked for one once and they cut it without thinning/layers first and it looked like a triangle, because i have so much hair, but then when she thinned it out it looked terrible as i had bits sticking out everywhere (even if it was straightened).