+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default My Grandpa's funeral

I felt finally in the mood to tell everyone how my grandfather's funeral went last Friday.

Before I start.. I want to share the last moments I had with him.

I was at a friends place helping her set up for a birthday dinner, when I got a call from my Aunt, telling me my grandfather had been admitted to hospital, after a turn of the worst. And that he wouldn't live through the week. My plan was to visit him the very next morning.
    After sitting down to the lovely meal, my Mother calls to tell me she is on her way to the hospital now from the city, as Grandpa apparently wouldn't survive the night..
    So my best friends father was nice enough to take me to the hospital straight away, and my friend took care of my baby.
    I entered the hospital to find my Grandfather lying there sleeping, and breathing deeply, you could hear the liquid in his lungs.
    My Uncles were there by his side, and second cousins... My cousins..
    They went to go get coffee, and was just me and my grandfather. I held his hand, and held back tears.
    He died.. he stopped breathing.. and I was alone with him when it happened. I rushed out to look for a nurse.. a family member.. anyone.. but that was it..
    He had died before my Mother was able to get there.

Come funeral day. The ceremony was very religious, it did go for quiet some time. But I managed to keep myself together through out.
    I saw family members I have not seen in a long time, some I don't have any memory of, but for sure know who I am.
    The older generations, my grandfathers brothers and friends, kept calling me 'Bunny' which was my Grandmother's nickname. SO it was a great compliment.
    After afternoon tea, we headed to the burial. He was buried with my Grandmother.
    Instead of throwing dirt, we threw chillis on his coffin. My grandfather laughed his curries, and the hotter the better. We all laughed and and joked about it. Then the elders sang "We'll meet again" and it brought some tears to everyone.

It was a beautiful ceremony. A great send off.. I already Miss him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    May your grandad RIP.

I am so sorry for your loss outtopasture, your last moments with your grandad must have been so difficult, yet bittersweet I guess.

I hope you are feeling ok and thank you for posting because that must have been difficult to write down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's very hard to believe he is gone.

My grandmother anniversary of her death was 2 days after he had passed. We like to think that was what he was aiming for.

Another funny thing. My Grandmother goes for the Hawks. And he goes for the Swans.. Haha I will be going for Sydney this year in the football.

I learned alot of neat stuff about him in the funeral I never knew.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm sorry for your loss.