+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I think my 7m old prefers store bought baby food!

Ds1 loved all my puréed and mashed creations, but it seems that ds2 does not! I have used store bought when out and about for convenience and when I didn't have anything ready in time (it's harder with a toddler 2nd time around!)
    I soon realised that ds2 ate better and opened his mouth eagerly when it was store bought! I don't understand why, shouldn't it be the opposite?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    maybe try cooking up a bulk amount of babyfood and putting it into containers and freezing them?.. i find that helps heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do separate veggies now like pumpkin and zucchini and mix. He doesnt seem to Go for it anymore. Any yummy ideas for 7-9m old?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sometimes mix up a bit of pureed pear or apple with veggies for DS.

Some of our fav veg mixes are:

- sweet potato/zucchini/carrot - sometimes with chicken
    - wholemeal pasta, sweet potato, pumpkin, brocoli
    - carrot, potato, peas
    - mashed fish with any veg
    - pumpkin, broccoli,
    - lentils, pumpkin, zucchini

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spaghetti bowl ?

I used to spend 2 hours one day every 3 weeks steaming broccoli, carrot, potato, pumpkin, peas and corn, zucchini and while that was going I'd cook spaghetti bowl and I'd put some if the mince in the ice cube trays and add that to the veggies for flavour. I also did cream based chicken.

It lasted a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be that he misses the squeezy pouches, if that's what you are using? If so maybe some sleight of hand is needed. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't worry about it! DS went through a phase of only eating Heinz apple purée I started adding it to mashed veggies then gradually decreased the amount of apple purée. Once he turned one and started eating solid stuff he soon forgot about the apple purée!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not entirely suprised. Baby food is usually either one of two things. Either it's sweeter than the homemade stuff, or blander. Sometimes bubs can't handle strong tastes and things that are too strong are a bit much.
    We might not think that pumpkin or zucchini can be overpowering but to a bub with developing taste buds it's sometimes just too much.

The other option is to look at the foods he's happy to eat. If he's keen on things like mixes that have parsnip or corn, it might be that he likes the sweetness of it.
    Either way it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with what you're feeding your bub, just that he's developing likes and dislikes. I wouldn't stress too much about it .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried making your food the same combinations as the store brought ones he likes?
    My DD1 used to love the raffertys veggies so i used to make the same mix and add some apple puree which is what sweetens it and just add less n less apple till it was mostly veggies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all. He loves the "organic bubs" pumpkin, sweet potato and couscous. I'll try to make that this week. Also he liked the chicken and corn (Heinz). Is a 7m old too young for sweetened corn (salt).
    Also how do I purée chicken and other meat?