+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flying with an 8mo, any tips?

We're moving to WA next month and will be flying direct (thank god) to Kalgoorlie from Adelaide, a 2.5hr flight. I'm worried about a few things with DD...
    She is a very stubborn, willful baby and if she doesn't want her bottle or she's tired she will not have it. The flight leaves at 5.45 and she is usually fed, bathed and having a bottle ready for bed at that time. I might be able to get her to drink it on he way up (but she likes to lay on the floor and do it herself so probably won't finish it).
    My main problem is sleep and the descent. She will not sleep in my arms, and is too big for the bassinets on domestic flights. I know she is going to crack it big time, and am dreading the reactions of the other passengers. Then the descent... once she has had her 6pm bottle she will not take one until the next morning. I've tried, believe me, its usually a good thing but how do I help her ears pop on the way down if she won't drink?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have flown a fair few times and i found before they were walking they were really good on the plane.

I never worried about bottles/breastfeed on the way up or down and they never had any issues lots of people don't feel any pressure in their ears its more if they have a bit of a cold or build up.

I found that the noise lulled them to sleep even though neither would ever sleep in my arms when not on a plane they had no problem while flying and they were very stubborn just like you've described your little one.

Good luck i reckon all your worrying will be for nothing but i know exactly how you feel

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I hope it will be easy but in my mind I have a little pink devil child jumping up and down screaming blue murder lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey!
    My advice..

ask for a seat down the back of the plane..usually more toilets down back and most use the front ones for business class.
    You want a window and ask for a comment to be put in asking if at all possible sit next to an empty seat.
    There are also more staff down the back of the plane.

Do NOT worry about what others think.. they do not matter, you all payed the same money and all deserve to be there.

xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like you've picked a perfect time slot to fly.. As long as you manage to get her bottle into her BEFORE the flight, the vibration of the flight will put her to sleep :-) Fingers crossed!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

TnA  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not much you can do, really.

My tip - they always want parents with children to board first. I hate that, it means another 15 mins on board when we could be in the terminal, lol. We wait to the end!

You've just gotta suck it and see, really. We flew with DS at 6 mths and again at 1 year. Does your bub have food yet? If she resists a bottle do you give her a little sandwich or squeezy packet of something? I cant remember food at that age...

Dont worry about the other passengers. They have to suck it too!! Our son screamed during taxiing while I desperately tried to bfeed him. He screamed while we got up to altitude, and then fell asleep in exhaustion. Don't leave it too late for her bottle, incase she gets distressed and totally won't accept it.

I was very embarassed with our son screaming, but oh well, not much you can do. Most people are sympathetic. It's only a short flight, don't stress much. Try turning on the kids channel on the tv to distract her. And don't worry if she cracks it - I'm sure the majority of passengers on board have had that happen with their kids too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

TnA  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly don't worry about the other passengers. You'll be surprised how loud the noise is on the plane anyway, and most won't even hear her. Try and give her her bottle when you are taking off (if you can't wait, either give her some more milk, or hold back on some from earlier) as this will help with her ears. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with her as there's so much going on they normally spend their time fascinated with what's going on around them. I flew with my dp and dd when she was 9 months to the uk, then when dd was 2, i flew with just her to the uk, and at Christmas dp, dd and ds who'll be 8 months are all off to the uk again. I'm not stressed about the flight, it's all the blinking stuff you have to take with you😃

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellaleggos For This Useful Post:

TnA  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has flown with me several times and the the first time he was 8 months old too! 3 hour flight. It was easier than I thought~
    He didnt cry going up or down, nor he cried much on the plan, whinged a little bit but in general it was a breeze.
    Try to feed her before the flight, if she wont take any then theres nothing much you can do. You can try to feed her a bit on the plan too, but again if she wont take it I wouldnt worry too much about it.
    She'll probably go to sleep with the rocking motion of the plan when going up and sleep for a bit. Does she take dummy? you can try that if she cries because of her ears. DS never had any problems with the whole ear popping thing
    Try to take a few dfferent toys or papers or anything that distracts her. So that when shes restless you can keep her occupied.
    Good Luck~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tubster For This Useful Post:

TnA  (28-09-2012)