+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Booking in to the hospital

This may be a dumb question (and believe me there will be plenty more from me lol) but do I actually have to call the hospital and book in or does my doctor do it for me? Dr didn't say anything about it really, when we got my blood tests back confirming my pregnancy he mentioned something about going to do antenatal classes and tour the maternity ward at some point in my third trimester but I have seen people on here talking about booking so I'm confused. Should I call up my local hospital now and book in or wait until later? I'm only 5 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    It depends on what kind of care you're having for your pregnancy and birth. I had a private Ob and I completed the admission forms at my first appointment with my Ob, who then sent in the forms at around 20 weeks. From there the hospital booked me into pre-natal classes and breastfeeding classes.

If you're having midwife care through the hospital, I'm not sure what you do, but if I was you I'd call the hospital to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you doing shared care? I did that for most of my preg with DS (where you see your GP as a pose to going to the hospital for your regular check-ups). My GP sent referrals to the hospital (pretty sure after my second visit at about 10 weeks) and the hospital contacted me with the details of a 'booking in' appointment, which was at about 16 weeks. I would perhaps ring your dr's office and ask if they send a referral to your hospital of choice or if you have to organise it yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I might have to make some calls and ask. The local maternity service is run by midwives but I assume most of my appointments will be with my Dr. He told me to come back and see him again after my first US so I imagine that means I'll keep seeing him.
    I'll probably call the hospital today and ask what happens with booking in etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't have to keep seeing your gp. You can change to seeing the midwives at the hospital you plan to birth at. To be honest the midwives see more pregnant ladies than your gp probably does so may be more intune with things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    How it worked with my hospital was the gp puts together all your info (blood test results, ultrasounds etc) and then faxed through a referral and then the hospital posts out an info booklet with an appointment time. The hospital didn't really talk to you in the first trimester. I was really disorganised following up on the referral though which had gotten lost somehow and was then resent but by the time I was booking in I was about 24 weeks. But really I didn't feel I needed to see a mw or ob etc until pregnancy was getting on a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a heads up, where I live the hospital books out super super fast with the midwife program/shared care. Call and book in asap. (Around Werribbe in Victoria)

In my case my ob books us in, but he never used to. So I booked in myself and my ob just said it saves doing paperwork at his place

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would call and book whether you're going private or not.

I'm seeing a private OB and his receptionist has been lovely. She mailed me admission forms and told me everything I had to do.. booking scans, hospital, classes, when to see the OB, costs etc. She also liaised with the PHI provider.

My husband's cousin is going public and missed out on her preferred hospital because she didn't book herself in on time (tried at about 18 weeks).

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I saw my OB at 12 weeks I got a little pack of information including the hospital forms and was told to book in at 16 weeks. By the sounds of it it might depend on what area you are and where you wish to have baby? Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by the clinic staff that I was responsible for booking in by myself. I called the antenatal clinic and was told I needed my dr's referrel for any of that.
    When I spoke to my dr, she was surprised that she needed to refer me, then said that it was just as well as she wanted me to go to a bigger hospital that handles high risk/special needs pregnancies.
    I got a phone call from the antenatal clinic within a few days of that conversation and when I went in for my appointment, the staff there told me everything I needed to know, including the fact that I needed to stop at Admissions and verify my details.