+ Reply to Thread
    Gold Coast, QLD

Default Naps are torture - please help!

5mth old DS was always a good sleeper, til recently. The last few weeks he has been refusing to nap during the day. He is a dream baby at night time, goes to bed at 6-6:30pm, and usually only wakes once before he is up at 6am ish.

Nap time is becoming hell though. I can't put him down on his own any more, he will only go to sleep if he is being held or someone is lying next to him. We usually snuggle in bed or on the couch til he falls asleep then transfer him to bed. Then after around 10-15mins he(sometimes longer, but not often) one of two things happens.

1- He starts chatting away to himself, and turning onto his tummy and kicking against the wall of the wall. If I ignore this, he does it for 10+ mins then starts crying. If I go to him, he grins and is happy and awake.

2- He wakes up screaming and crying. If we go in to him, he also grins and giggles and looks like he is ready to get up again. If we leave him, he ends up at option 1 anyway.

Either way, he has a terrible sleep and is always yawning soon after he wakes. If we cuddle with him and don't put him down on his own, he will sleep for ages (at times up to 2-3 hours) but he wriggles in his sleep and he gets really sweaty. Plus its not fun for the person holding him.

For the last few days I have been trying to create stronger sleep associations and have been giving him a particular stuffed toy and playing a particular song at sleep time. It works a dream at night but does nothing during the day. I have no issue with cuddling him to sleep, but it would be nice to be able to put him down!!
    Last edited by Alphabetsoup; 25-09-2012 at 16:14.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It sounds like a phase. Can you use a carrier in the interim?

Would wrapping help so he gets a snug "held" feeling? Have you tried putting him to bed before he is fast asleep? Good luck - I know how tiring it can be.