+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective c-section for no other reason than having my tubes tied at the same time....

Hi,

I must be the most undecisive person on this planet. I am 33 weeks preg at the mo with my 2nd son. 1st baby came naturally with no real issues apart from being very overdue and long labour with lots of intervention.

this time round i am fortunate that we are going private and i have the option of elevtive c section if i choose.... Having the choice now has me in two minds as to weather i should or not. I have also been thinking seeing as i have the option maybe i should make the most of it and have my tubes tied at the same time???

has anyone done this and what was your experience. I am open to suggestions and everyones opinions!

Im in Perth scheduled to have bub at Mercy but because they are catholic hospital they wont do the tubal ligation (tubes tied) as its contraception but I can be transferred to KEMH.....

Thoughts please TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a bit crazy to have major abdominal surgery so you can have your tubes tied...something that is done in a far less invasive manner.In short there is just no way I would opt for that scenario.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (25-09-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Same as wastingtime major abdominal surgery just so you can have your tubes tied is not something I would do. There are much safer and less invasive methods of having a tubal ligation procedure done. 2 new methods are day surgery procedures I would say they have a much lower risk of infection and death than a caesarean, I think you need to look at the short and long term risks associated with it.

Here is a good starting point http://www.motherfriendly.org/Resour...bruary2010.pdf

Potential Harms to the Mother
    Compared with vaginal birth, women who have a cesarean are more likely to experience:
    • Accidental surgical cuts to internal organs.
    • Major infection.
    • Emergency hysterectomy (because of uncontrollable bleeding).
    • Complications from anesthesia.
    • Deep venous clots that can travel to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and brain (stroke).
    • Admission to intensive care.
    • Readmission to the hospital for complications related to the surgery.
    • Pain that may last six months or longer after the delivery.
    More women report problems with
    pain from the cesarean incision than report pain in the genital area after vaginal birth.
    • Adhesions, thick internal scar tissue that may cause future chronic pain, in rare cases a twisted
    bowel, and can complicate future abdominal or pelvic surgeries.
    • Endometriosis (cells from the uterine lining that grow outside of the womb) causing pain,
    bleeding, or both severe enough to require major surgery to remove the abnormal cells.
    • Appendicitis, stroke, or gallstones in the ensuing year.
    Gall bladder problems and stroke
    may be because high-weight women and women with high blood pressure are more likely to
    have cesareans.
    • Negative psychological consequences with unplanned cesarean. These include:
    o Poor birth experience, overall impaired mental health, and/or self-esteem.
    o Feelings of being overwhelmed, frightened, or helpless during the birth.
    o A sense of loss, grief, personal failure , acute trauma symptoms, posttraumatic stress,
    and clinical depression.
    • Death.
    Potential Harms to the Baby
    Compared with vaginal birth, babies born by cesarean section are more likely to experience:
    • Accidental surgical cuts, sometimes severe enough to require suturing.
    • Being born late-preterm (34 to 36 weeks of pregnancy) as a result of scheduled surgery.
    • Complications from prematurity, including difficulties with respiration, digestion, liver function,
    jaundice, dehydration, infection, feeding, and regulating blood sugar levels and body
    temperature.
    Late-preterm babies also have more immature brains,
    and they are more
    likely to have learning and behavior problems at school age.
    • Respiratory complications, sometimes severe enough to require admission to a special care
    nursery, even in infants born at early term (37 to 39 weeks of pregnancy).
    Scheduling surgery
    after 39 completed weeks minimizes, but does not eliminate, the risk.
    • Readmission to the hospital.
    • Childhood development of asthma,
    sensitivity to allergens,
    or Type 1 diabetes.
    • Death in the first 28 days after birth.
    Potential Harms to Maternal Attachment and Breastfeeding
    Failure to breastfeed has adverse health consequences for mothers and babies. Breastfeeding helps
    protect mothers against postpartum depression, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease,
    ovarian and pre-menopausal breast cancer, and osteoporosis later in life.
    Breastfeeding helps protect
    babies against ear infections, stomach infections, severe respiratory infections, allergies, asthma,
    obesity, Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, childhood leukemia, sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and
    necrotizing enterocolitis (a severe, life-threatening intestinal infection).
    • Women who have unplanned cesareans are more likely to have difficulties forming an
    attachment to their babies.
    • Women who have cesareans are less likely to have their infants with them skin-to-skin (cradled
    naked against their bare chest) after the delivery.
    Babies who have skin-to-skin contact
    interact more with their mothers, stay warmer, and cry less. When skin-to-skin, babies are more
    likely to be breastfed early and well, and to be breastfed for longer. They may also be more
    likely to have a good early relationship with their mothers, but the evidence for this is not as
    strong.
    • Women are less likely to breastfeed.
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 25-09-2012 at 16:30.