+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Storing photos

Ok. So I guess most people out there take a lot of photos of their kids like me.

How do you store them all??

I currently have portable hard drives, some cd's most of them spread over two laptops and not backed up (eeek). I have just run out of room on my two portable drives and my laptop.

I don't have any printed really, as it costs so much and we have always moved so I didn't want the bulk of albums.

What do others do? Is there a better way to organise all of my photos? And I don't really want to use icloud or anything like that as I am paranoid about my super personal photos lol.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have all mine on a hard drive....which I keep forgetting to add the new pics to If my house burnt down tomorrow Id have only the pics on my phone and whatever is on my Facebook. I dont plan for these things very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are only really 2 ways to do it:

Have 2 hard drives one primary and one backup, they are so cheap nowadays. I currently have 2 1TB hard drives and use Lightroom, I download my pics to one and use the other as a backup. The back up is kept somewhere else in case of robbery/fire.

The other you have already mentioned, there are many cloud providers out there, dropbox, microsoft skydrive etc. It really depends on how many pics you have. For me the cost of a cloud is too much compared to another HDD. If I only had a few GB of pictures I would use a cloud.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This stresses me out too! I am a mad Mummy-photographer.

I have two external hard drives that I sync with my desktop hard-drive but I still feel that's not enough. I've had so many external hard drives die on me over the years I am ultra paranoid.

I would actually really like to use a cloud-type service but I think I have too many GB, and I imagine uploading the large files would take FOREVER and use up a huge portion of my monthly limit.

Maybe I'll just get a third hard drive... and not tell hubby.

I probably should store one elsewhere in case of fire/robbery/armageddon - MINIroo how do you manage to back up if you keep one off-site?? Do you just get it occasionally then put it back off-site?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmyB View Post
    I probably should store one elsewhere in case of fire/robbery/armageddon - MINIroo how do you manage to back up if you keep one off-site?? Do you just get it occasionally then put it back off-site?
    Yes pretty much that. I have my computer set up to tell when it is time to back up, so at most I would lose a few weeks pictures.

Also using lightroom, the backup file is a lot less then the actual size of the pictures themselves, so it doesn't take up as much room.

If not try zipping the files.

Depending on how many GB you have had you looked at SSD instead of HDD? You can get some pretty large USB's for not too much money if you are worried about HDD failing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MINIRoo View Post
    Also using lightroom, the backup file is a lot less then the actual size of the pictures themselves, so it doesn't take up as much room.
    I use Lightroom too.... I presume you're talking here about backing up the Lightroom "catalogue"? My understanding was you also need to back up the photo files. The catalogue is useless without the photo files - you would have the photo previews only. So I have both the catalogue and the full files themselves backed up on both external hard drives.

Yes I've heard SSD is more reliable than hard drives but I don't fully understand the difference here. Are they all called "portable hard drives"? Or do you only really get external SSD drives from nerdy computer type places?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, you are right, yes lightroom only back up the catalogue. You need a backup software to sync the storage files.

You can use something like this. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=15155

SSD is a solid state drive, basically what a USB is, there are no moving parts.

Most portable HDD are standard hard drives, you would hear them, Whurring...because they have moving parts, a rotating CD type memory, and it is those moving parts that tend to fail.