+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you pay a full fare for your just turned 2 year old on a flight?

I know heaps of people that don't.. anybody been caught out? I personally do pay, i know my SIL doesn't.. she just says her dd isn't 2 yet..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never had to provide a birth cert at any time.. so hmm.. wonder if they do ask many people for it..?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldnt even think about not! I always take DS's birth certificate with me, not that I've ever been asked for it. Just seems wrong, well.. it is wrong! and illegal surely! fraud? breach of safety?ETA: think about not paying for a seat (just to clarify! it sounded like I agreed with sil.. I def dont agree!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fly a lot and have always paid once they hit 2. However my children are really tall and look older than they are.

The airlines do check! I have had tiger, virgin and qantas all ask for DD1's birth certificate. The first time I didn't have it on me and said that i thought the medicare card was proof that she was my child (I thought I had read that was ok) but they said they now require something with their age on it. They held us back and were almost not going to let us fly but in the end we could.

They have looked at DD2 and asked "so she is under 2?" in a rude way, and I have said "yep, have her birth cert if you need it?" and been told "no it's ok". So have never had to show for her before and now she is over 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I paid for the extra seat before she was 2, as flying with a toddler on my lap was not fun at all!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Pretty sure it's pretty clear cut with most airlines...

Under two are free.
    over two are charged.

I personally wouldn't risk not paying for a 2yo- what if they did check his/her birth certificate and you couldn't pay for another seat due to the plane being full? Or had to pay last minute prices? Way more expensive...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We paid a child's fare when DS was 15 months old as we wanted him to have his own seat - for our comfort more than his to be honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always paid once over 2. I can't really get my head around your SIL thinking its okay to lie about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's lying about the kid's age, the kid still has to sit on her lap, right... so it's not as though she is taking a seat for free. Personally I haven't been in the situation and I am a terrible liar so wouldn't even try it - but don't begrudge anyone who does, go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who wants a wriggly 2 year old on their lap for the whole flight??!!! Mine just turned 2 and is 14kgs...... I wouldn't think of fudging his age to be honest. I'm just happy to pay for him to get off my lap now, hahhah.