+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you do NT scan for 3rd pregnancy when you had 2 normal children?

Well... I'm 35 now and just found out I'm pregnant again (it's planned), but after speaking to the GP, the question to do or not to do the NT scan pops up again since I'm over 35 now. Despite I had 2 normal pregnancy/birth and both children are healthy.

Really not sure if I should do the NT scan or not, the whole thing is that it's so inaccurate, I don't really want a "likely postive" result which will lead to a risky CVS (1 in 100 chance to lose your baby!?). Any mum gone through similar situation? What did you do?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes i had the NT scan for my third bub. For me it was important, even though my first 2 had no issues and are healthy. I would not be able to relax without having the NT scan.
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 25-09-2012 at 09:55.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldn't, but it is such an individual decision. I declined the nt scan for each pregnancy because I wouldn't terminate under any circumstance, and although I can see the benefit of being prepared and knowing that something is wrong, you really can't know for suesre unless s you have a CVS/amnio, which I wouldn't do for risk to bub. So for me, the best a nt scan can give is 'you have x risk of a baby with ....'. That wouldn't prepare me or alleviate my worry in any way, it would probably just make me worry more! But again, It's such a personal decision, but for me, I wouldnt do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you do NT scan for 3rd pregnancy when you had 2 normal children?

Yes I would. My first two were perfectly fine and I had the by scan with my third as I thought better safe then sorry. I thought there would be no issues as I had to healthy bubs previous. Scan picked up severe fetal hydrops and the baby was not expected to survive to 19 weeks gestation. They recommended termination rather then go through the trauma of carrying a sick baby and going through a still birth.

So yes I highly recommend a scan, even if it's just to make sure bubs is healthy.

Or to be prepared if there are any issues.
    Last edited by FluffyDucks; 25-09-2012 at 10:29.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. a family friend of ours didn't do it with their 4th pregnancy and the girl did turn out to have downs syndrome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I would. The stats of m/c from cvs are actually a lot better than 1 in 100. In aus with an experienced doctor, to have a m/c from CVS is almost unheard of.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the NT scan with my third, even though I have 2 healthy children, I am 29 and there has never been any sort of issues I wanted to do it just to make sure all was well.

Unfortunately for me this was not the case. My baby had a very sever case of encephaolcele - the skull had not closed over and there was no chance for survival as the damage to the brain was already too much. We had additional scans and they were able to confirm the diagnosis 100%, so we felt comfortable knowing we were doing the right thing in terminating.

I am really not meaning to scare you and I hate to put such a negative taint on the thread, but I just wanted to share my experience of having an issue even after 2 healthy pregnancies. I wish you all the best though and nothing but a very healthy and happy pregnancy!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to swizzly555 For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know there will be a lot more pressure to have this test next time I am pregnant now that I'm over 35, than there was with DD at 32, but I still intend not to test.

I don't wish to test as termination would not be an option (due to several beautiful adults I know who could have been terminated due to physical, potentially life threatening, abnormalities) and I figure the 20 week scan will show up most major issues and give me a chance to prepare.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes I did with my 6th even though i would never terminate under any circumstance, i feel that i would rather know and have time to digest it and research it before they were born.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

rosiers  (27-09-2012)