+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does my 9 month old really need 3-4 bottles a night?!

As the title suggests.... Does he?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandnewbeginnings For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (26-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im not sure exactley but I do know my DS had that many bottles a night at that age. He always drank heaps more than what the tin said. He never threw up or got belly aches so I guess he needed it lol He wouldnt settle any other way so we just started trying to up how much was in his day bottles. It also helped that he always had a bigger bottle at night when he first goes down. Sorry if I havent helped I just wanted you to know youre not alone some bubbas are just big eaters Oh and it could just be a bit of a growth spurt, and if it makes you feel any better DS dropped a few overnight bottles not long after 9 months
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 25-09-2012 at 09:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is BF but she still gets up for a feed 3 or 4 times a night....and she has a big feed as well.

DS1 and DS2 only got up once a night so this is a real PITA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my opinion based on experience is no...our DS would wake and the bottle was his prop to get back to sleep...it was friggin painful...if you think this is the problem then its the 'prop" that needs to go....unless he hardly eats in the day but i guess u want him to maybe only wake once a night at this age....i used a program that suggested from 9 months if a baby eats well in the day they "should" be able to sleep thru...i just couldnt hack getting up 4 times a night for DS..it was exhausting..looking back now at photos he got pretty chubby around this age b4 we realised he was getting way too many bottles..most at night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i would hesitantly say no (hesitant because babies do have different needs) but i personally would think that is a lot of milk on top of what they eat and drink during the day.
    like pp suggested, it could be a comfort thing and habit. have you tried a dummy? or someone else going in, rocking back to sleep?
    or even replace the milk with water and after a few weeks the motivation to wake up might not be as strong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on what they are eating in a 24 hour period (or even over a week) rather than just overnight. What food and bottles does he have over a 24 hour period?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say definitley not.
    Unless, your baby was born premature, is failing to thrive and depending on what his daytime feeding schedule is.
    From memory, last bottle for my ds at this age was between 6 and 7pm - then definitley no more milk till morning. When trying to drop the bottle overnight at this age, we offered a bit of warm water in a bottle at first, on unsettled nights
    I would look up a few 9 month old feeding routines on the internet and tweak them to suit your and your babys own needs. Use them as a guide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say absolutely not. I was BFing but I night-weaned my DS at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all for the replies! Again last night he had 3 bottles. argh.
    His last bottle of the night is at 6pm. ( Mind you last week he had a bottle at 6pm, then didn't get up till 12:30am for his first bottle of the night, and i am ok with 1 bottle a night, then slept till 6:30am, so i know he can do it!)
    He generally has a bottle every 4 hours. So 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm. Sometimes will do every 4 and half hours and he is having 4 x 150ml if he goes longer between feeds he will have 3 x 200ml also is having 2-3 meals per day ( protien, vegies, and good carbs for breaky like oats etc. Plus having a few snacks during the day here and there.

I think maybe i will try the water thing for a couple of weeks to see if that makes any difference but i wanted to see what hubbers thought about having so many bottles during the night. I have spoken to a few of my mumma friends and none of their babies have had this many at his age.

So you all defiitely think he doesnt need that many during the night?? Just wanted to make sure.

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest he needs a bigger bottle before bed, try getting him to take 200mls or more around 30 mins before bed, and lots of protein for dinner. He needs 3 meals plus 2 snacks a day too (you say 2-3 meals in you above post).

I would then start looking at night weaning methods to try and reduce overnight bottles to 1 per night. Google Dr Jay Gordons night weaning for ideas.

Good Luck.