+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Budgeting

So as the title says - budgeting. How much do you need/did you need when it was just you, your partner and your first newborn/over that first year?? Df and I are worrying about finances and want to know what other people did/experienced so we can really prepare ourselves (and maybe reassure df a bit haha). What sort of stuff did you buy? Did you buy a lot of stuff before baby was born? (I'm pretty well set on the clothes and accessories for the first year haha) thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I stocked up on expensive cleaning products, toilet paper, some nappies (in newborn and next size up) if you are using disposables, baby wipes and other baby toiletries (ie bath wash, shampoo, nappy rash cream etc). Did this in the last few months of pregnancy. Almost 9 months into my mat leave and haven't had to buy these products (except for nappies of course). Everyone's budgets and incomes are different. I am on half pay for the year I am off work so our finances are not as stretched as some. If you are having unpaid time off work you will need to work out if you can cover all your bills, living expenses etc on 1 wage. Plus it's always helpful to have some in savings for those unexpected costs that often pop up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all congrats! We think all up to get set up for DD who's #1 we spent $4k and in my household budget I have $150 monthly allocated for baby, that's nappies wiped toys clothes... sometimes I go over sometimes under it usually avarages out.I suppose it all depends on what you want to spend, we bough good sturdy cot and change table as we're planning on having more kids, you can go without a basinette but we got one as the cot wasn't available for weeks after due date. We also got a sturdy basinette because we have a large dog roaming the house and we didn't want to worry about it tipping over, also DH invested in a breathing monitor which if you can afford is great and gives peace of mind, then we just went to ikea and got a cheapy colorful table and shelves and some sticky wall art from toys r us. Got lots of clothes and toys from the baby shower and on eBay. We also splurged on the pram as I have a small car and didn't have many options. Do look on ebay there's some real bargains expeccially prams and clothes. I have a friend who got set up for $2k so it's doable. Apart from that you'll need nappies wipes and bum cream regularly, I buy nappies with Coles my 5 so I get 10% off $33 for a box of 90 or so nappies which lasts 3 weeks, I get bulk curash wipes from bigw for $25 (I think) that lasts 6weeks sometimes more, butt cream I use curash that's $6 and I probably buy one every 3/4 weeks I also use talcum powder during the day and cream at night, I'm still using talcum and soaps/shampoo from my baby shower 6 months ago! But I will get those from bigw, just buy bulk and if you see it in discount just go for it as they're non perishables. Don't bother getting bottles and pump till you know you'll need it, with any luck you'll breastfeed which doesn't cost anything. I don't know if you have a trade secret where you are but they have awesome things there I got a really nice nappy bag for $10!!! Long rant sorry but I hope this helps

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies! Df and I were roaming through Big W earlier today and ended up in the baby section as we have friends who have complained about how expensive it all is and barely affording nappies. Once we were there I didn't think it seemed too bad? I don't overly know the difference between brands but there was a box of 90 for like $25 which didn't seem bad to me? I think there were babylove or something, didn't really pay close attention And a huge box of babywipes for about the same. We have a fairly stable income from both of us (with some saved) and are fairly used to sticking to small budgets (we're both uni students, as well as working). I'll be doing casual work not long after bub (at-home work so pretty good). We're hoping to have most things covered with $400 a week or is that being too optimistic? haha. We've looked at what our bills average and have taken it done to weekly payments to put aside. I haven't really thought into a bassinet much as we're planning on having the cot in our room (too nervous to think about being in different rooms, or at least we are at this stage ) and have looked into the price of cots + mattresses and sheets as well as a good pram and car seat and I think getting those over the period of the pregnancy will be easy enough to manage. Should I plan to up my weekly budget? Our bills aren't usually that high maybe about $100-$150 a week for them all (off the top of my head, we wrote it out somewhere haha) as well as roughly $100 for groceries for just df and I. I'm hoping we won't need formula for at least the first couple months. I really feel like I'm overlooking too much stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're both sounding pretty sensible and switched on to me. I think you'll be right.

I bought so much crap when I was pregnant with my first. Seriously. Mind boggling amounts of stuff. Electric swings and like the worlds most fancy pants high chair (a high chair before it's born for gods sake!), electric bottle warmers, and a plug in bottle warmer for the car, 3 didifferent playmats, a baby Bjorn and 2 baby slings, jolly jumper. The list goes on. And on. And on. I think I had a brain snap.

So high fives for not going mental like I did because 99% of it never got used.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WineTime For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So, just as a totally random thing, this thread inspired me to go and work out DP and I's budget for the next 12 months. I broke it down to weekly, fortnightly and monthly. After all bills are paid and a giant chunk is put into savings, we still have more to play with than I used to live on.

Boy do I now realise how much we spend on junk.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post
    So, just as a totally random thing, this thread inspired me to go and work out DP and I's budget for the next 12 months. I broke it down to weekly, fortnightly and monthly. After all bills are paid and a giant chunk is put into savings, we still have more to play with than I used to live on.

Boy do I now realise how much we spend on junk.
    Df and I were the same when we did our budget and realised we were spending way too much on useless things and how much money we actually have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backgroundnoise View Post
    Df and I were the same when we did our budget and realised we were spending way too much on useless things and how much money we actually have!
    Yea', I messaged DP and was like "WTF!?!?" I even tripple checked everything, and included doubling up on power, gas and internet to put into a savings account for when we have a baby. A year or two.. Or three.. Of not having those three bills to pay will be heaven, imo.

ETA: Have you SEEN the cute little cloth nappies and nappy covers Big W have!? I nearly died on the spot.
    Last edited by Jennaisme; 25-09-2012 at 01:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You def need a budget and to keep track of things, if you can fit the cot in your room you won't need a basinette, also for the car seat you rent them from the ambulance service (like new and 5star safety ratings). I use Huggies and curash but a friend of mine uses baby love nappies and dimples wipes (from bigw) she's happy with it but I found bigw wipes to be too dry... Also all companies will send you samples so start writing emails requesting those, Nappies creams wipes soaps I still have some and use it when we travel.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaisme View Post

ETA: Have you SEEN the cute little cloth nappies and nappy covers Big W have!? I nearly died on the spot.
    I see where they're supposed to be but they're always sold out!! D: