+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Terrible anxiety - anti-depressant side effect? (Pristiq)

Hi,
    Although depression is my main issue, I have suffered anxiety for awhile and it has been getting steadily worse for a few months.

I have been off anti-depressants (Lexapro, Effexor) for over a year, but a week ago started on Pristiq for depression on recommendation from my doctor.

Since starting the Pristiq a week ago, there has been a massive spike in my anxiety, and the past two days have been almost unbearable.

Has anyone out there suffered anxiety as a side-effect of Pristiq?

I plan on stopping taking it - is this a good idea? The anxiety could be completely unrelated to the Pristiq, I don't know.

Unfortunately my doctor is away for the next 2 weeks so I can't call him or have an appointment.
    Last edited by Shanaynay; 24-09-2012 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I was on Lexapro then Pristiq. I don't think my anxiety levels spiked but they didn't improve either. It had lots of other side effects though. I tapered myself off them. I just took one every second day. It is recommended that you don't take yourself off them without consulting with your doctor first though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, sounds like what happened to me when I started lexapro, I was a shaking mess. I could not function, so the dr changed me to Lovan which I was much better on. If you feel it is really upsetting things go back to the dr.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyjac For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I started taking Pristiq I ahd uncontrollable anxiety, kept thinking anout death (so weird, I wasn't suicidal but I was having the weirdest morbid thoughts) and panic attacks. I went back to the dr and hegave me Xanax for two weeks (very low dose and I just took it when I felt the worst)and it got a lot better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks. My Dr is not available for the next 2 weeks... seein as I've only been takin it for a bit over a week, I think I'll just stop and see how I go.

Anxiety is so unbelievably horrid at the moment... feel like I can't breathe - scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sucks hun I totally remmebr that horrible feeling. Can you go see another dr? They've obviously prescribed it because there's something going on so maybe if you can just ride it out and maybe ask for another kind or get something to help youj while your body adjusts xx

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyLoaf For This Useful Post:

Shanaynay  (24-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps CravenBabies.

There is another doctor at the practice but he's been a bit useless whenever I've had to see him. He'd probably suggest that I stay on it and wait and see if the anxiety settles down.

I feel like I can't risk that, as tthis is just so horrible I don't want to have to have even one more day of this.

It also just occurred to me that I've really cut down on my caffeine intake this week (I'm a bit addicted) so that might be contributing too... better go get a fix now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update for anyone who might be reading along now or in the future.

95% sure it was the Pristiq that was causing the very high level of anxiety.

I stopped taking it, and the excess anxiety disappeared 12-24 hours later.

Now just stuck with my 'normal' amount.... and of course depression continues as per usual.

Will visit the doc again to try yet again another medication... *sigh*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing My doctor (who is also a fully qualified Pharmacist and pretty awesome) reccommended I stay on the Pristiq and after that first two weeks (and taking Xanax) I was fine. Totally understand you not continuing with it though.

I also saw a counsellor when I was in the midst of PND/ Anxiety and although we worked out my trigger was lack of sleep and lack of support (dh started fifo) it still helped.

I hope that you can find something that works for *you* there are so many different ads out there it's not like picking a wine lol. Also, a lot of drs get kickbacks form med companies so may be more likely to push a new drug on you if it benefits them. (I love my Dr, he's super efficient and compassionate and normal but I'm sure there's something in it for him!)

Sending you big hugs

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Terrible anxiety - anti-depressant side effect? (Pristiq)

Thanks so much Craven Babies.
    Haven't been back to doc, need to go soon, not having a great day today.