+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have never, ever heard of height being an issue to a vaginal birth. I'm rather short and it was never mentioned to me by a large number of obs and midwives I saw throughout my pregnancy.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I also wanted to mention that my 5 foot nothing grandmother who married a 6 foot plus champion boxer birthed 4 children vaginally, 2 of which were twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a very small build and had 2 large babies naturally. Although I had a long complicated labour with ds1 I wasn't prepared to have a cs the second time because of that. The labour and delivery of ds2 was short and sweet!
    You won't know til you give it a go! I wouldn't be opting for cs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm of large build and tall and ended up with an emergency csection. Its all just about probability. As pp's have stated it's all dependent on the internal aspects if your pelvis that can't be seen just by looking at you. Nothing is certain when it comes to a delivery, however, do not let people force you into something you don't feel comfortable with. What is your "gut instinct" telling you?
    Can you arrange some counseling to talk through things with someone vefore the birth? If you do decide to have a vaginal birth I would recommend some hypno birthing or calm birthing classes something that will reaffirm your ability to birth vaginally. Have you considered a doula to advocate/support you?

I truly hope you find the best solution for you whatever that may be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How absolutely bizzare!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (24-09-2012),Shanaynay  (25-09-2012)

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    Well I didn't quite understand either! As far as my friend and MIL, because they are both quite a bit older than me, I thought maybe it is an out dated belief they've held onto.

My ob said shorter asian women (like me) tend to have smaller pelvises, and since the baby is measuring on the bigger side, it's likely, though not definite, that I could experience difficulties. For the record I'm under 150cm, anyone know of women that short that have delivered naturally?
    I have a friend who is just under 150cm and weighs about 42kgs. She gave birth vaginally to two children who weighed about 7pds each. No issues, no problems. She also fed both her children until two years of age with her AA size boobs

8. The Following User Says Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just couldn't get this post off my mind... It greatly disturbs me that there are obs out there giving this kind of advise.. Anyway, I digress.. I came back to say, what you need to do, is gather all the advice and info you can, make a decision either way. Regardless of which way you choose to birth you need to make sure it's a positive experience. Don't just go with the flow and expect you're "care" providers to do what's best for you, they dont always as they have schedules to keep! There are lots of things you can implement to make a natural birth positive and empowering, and the same goes for csection. Visit birth talk website and see what advice they have for you.. They also run a csection network.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-09-2012),Shanaynay  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    weirdest reasoning i have ever heard to be honest. i know a few very short women and they have birthed naturally and i have also known very very tall women who have had c-sections, - one being told her pelvis was too small... but you'd never know it by looking at her height.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Diamonds 14 View Post
    I might need to seek out some short women and find out if this short woman=short pelvis=c section theory has any truth to it.
    OP I am 5"2 and weigh in the low forties and had a drug-free vaginal birth with DS (who was also posterior) and who weighed just under 9 pounds and was 55cm in length!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MissRose1 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Just wanted to thank you all for your input My confidence definitely was shaken having 3 different medical professionals suggesting I was too short to labour naturally in one week, however after reading through this thread and doing more research I definitely feel more confident in sticking to my initial plan which is to attempt a natural birth with the option of a c section only if necessary. As someone in this thread said, I won't know what my body is capable of unless I give myself the option to try.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (25-09-2012)